A Hobbit Question

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
      I'm thinking a lot about the Hobbit lately. I apologize if this was explained in History of the Hobbit or Anderson's annotated Hobbit, or the Peoples of Middle Earth, and missed by me, but I find it odd that Tolkien let some good opportunities to expand on the background of the setting slip by.

      It's clear that Thranduil and the Wood Elves were inspired by Doriath and Thingol, and that the Nauglafring affair is the inspiration for the conflicts between elves and dwarves that are mentioned in the Hobbit. But it is also clear that by the time he writes the chronology of LOTR, if not sooner, Thranduil and Thingol are clearly separate elves. So... what conflict between the Wood Elves and the Dwarves had occurred? And which dwarves? It was specifically NOT Durin's Folk, the Longbeards, so which dwarven folk was it? Was it a full war? Some dwarves fought for Sauron in the war of the last Alliance of Elves and Men, presumably (all creatures divided except Elves, I believe).Were they involved?

      Also, it seems that much history of the Lakemen and Dale, as well as King Bladorthin, could have been added. Presumably they are distant relatives of the Rohirrim and the Beornings.

      And what were the dragons doing in the Ered Withrin? What was Smaug's background and history? Though Tolkien seems to have had little interest in the doings of the 'bad guys' so is not such a glaring omission.

      Are these questions he might have answered in the abandoned post-LOTR rewrite?

      Paul Westermeyer
      paul.westermeyer@...

      “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
        "The Quest of Erebor: Gandalf's account of how he came to arrange the expedition to Erebor and send Bilbo and the Dwarves," which I read in The Annotated Hobbit (Appendix A), is a background story of Gandalf's larger strategy in rearranging the chessboard in Western Middle Earth. I think it would be worth reading for further insight into Tolkien's backstory linking The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

        Steve Gaddis
      • Mich
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
          does any one know if this apendix is in audio format some wair? as some one who has the hobbett unab but it doesn't have any apendix. now the lotr does on disk 14 of rotk but to my knollige it doesn't have any sutch account in it. from Mich.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
            Dear Mich
            Not available as audio that I know of; you need to find The book Unfinished
            Tales by JRRT or The Annotated Hobbit, second edition, by Douglas A. Anderson, or HME volume twelve.
            It's not in LotR, having been left out by Tolkien.
            Hope this helps.
            --  John R.

            does any one know if this apendix is in audio format some wair? as some one who has the hobbett unab but it doesn't have any apendix. now the lotr does on disk 14 of rotk but to my knollige it doesn't have any sutch account in it. from Mich.
            "The Quest of Erebor: Gandalf's account of how he came to arrange the expedition to Erebor and send Bilbo and the Dwarves," which I read in The Annotated Hobbit (Appendix A), is a background story of Gandalf's larger strategy in rearranging the chessboard in Western Middle Earth. I think it would be worth reading for further insight into Tolkien's backstory linking The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

            Steve Gaddis

          • Jeremy Edmonds

              does any one know if this apendix is in audio format some wair? as some one who has the hobbett unab but it doesn't have any apendix. now the lotr does on disk 14 of rotk but to my knollige it doesn't have any sutch account in it. from Mich.
              "The Quest of Erebor: Gandalf's account of how he came to arrange the expedition to Erebor and send Bilbo and the Dwarves," which I read in The Annotated Hobbit (Appendix A), is a background story of Gandalf's larger strategy in rearranging the chessboard in Western Middle Earth. I think it would be worth reading for further insight into Tolkien's backstory linking The Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings.

              Steve Gaddis

            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
                Text-to-speech! I shudder to think what it would do with Tolkien's Elvish names!

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2012
                  As do I, but the impression I am getting is that audio is Mich's only option.  For someone in that position, the other choices are to call you up and have you read Unfinished Tales to him, or just skip it all together.  :-)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 13, 2012

                    yes as some one who uses a screen reader i am quite fimilier with text to speech programs. i to shudder to think what it would do to some of Tolkien's Elvish Names as well. I will check the cnib since I know they had a coppy of The Book of Lost Tales at one time. many thanks for this. from Mich.