Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien audio books

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
      This is shaping.

      Who is in charge of 2013 Mythcon programming?  I have a few paltry lukewarm lima bean papers & panels to volunteer.

      Mike

      Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien audio books

      We did a one-shot five-person dramatic reading of "The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun" at Kalamazoo last year. So suspect it wdn't be a problem.
      -JDR

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
        The ATB one is only available on the Tales from the Perilous Realm set (http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/56305/tales-from-the-perilous-realm-unabridged-edition-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007237333). That I actually have, so I am quite certain of it.

        Info on the Mr. Bliss one:  http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/39315/mr-bliss-unabridged-edition-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007440511

        As for the LOC ones, if you search the catalog at  http://www.loc.gov/nls/ you will find quite a few titles available. The only ones I've actually heard though are the few I listed (UT, BOLT1 & 2, Roverandom).

        ~Chris

        On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        Are you sure about the ATB one. I hadn't been aware of that one. Mr. Bliss is also new to me. Thanks for the list -- v. interesting.
        --JDR

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
          > Posted by: "C.N. Bartch" cnbartch@... cnbartch
          > Date: Sat Sep 8, 2012 4:57 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > As for the LOC ones, if you search the catalog at
          > http://www.loc.gov/nls/ you
          > will find quite a few titles available. The only ones I've actually
          > heard though are the few I listed (UT, BOLT1 & 2, Roverandom).

          The LOC titles are only available to the sight-impaired, however... at least, if I read the site correctly. I'm sure there is a copyright issue involved, and I certainly wouldn't want to prevent those whose only option is an audiobook from hearing them, but is there any legal, moral way for those of us who merely enjoy audiobooks to get the LOC versions?

          Paul Westermeyer
          paul.westermeyer@...

          “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
          J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_