Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien audio books

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
      We did a one-shot five-person dramatic reading of "The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun" at Kalamazoo last year. So suspect it wdn't be a problem.
      -JDR

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
        This is shaping.

        Who is in charge of 2013 Mythcon programming?  I have a few paltry lukewarm lima bean papers & panels to volunteer.

        Mike

        Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:18 PM

        Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 12:20 PM

        Doug Kane wrote:

        >What I would really like is a
        >dramatic reading of some of the Lays in HoMe #, particularly the incomplete
        >later Lay of Leithian. I think that would really make those works come to
        >live in a way that most people don't appreciate.

        Do you want me to suggest this as a program item for next year's Mythcon? They were murmuring at me about doing a dramatic presentation of some sort, and a live group reading would be a cool thing. I'd need to check on whether we'd have to get rights to do this.

        No virus found in this message.

      • C.N. Bartch
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
          The ATB one is only available on the Tales from the Perilous Realm set (http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/56305/tales-from-the-perilous-realm-unabridged-edition-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007237333). That I actually have, so I am quite certain of it.

          Info on the Mr. Bliss one:  http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/39315/mr-bliss-unabridged-edition-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007440511

          As for the LOC ones, if you search the catalog at  http://www.loc.gov/nls/ you will find quite a few titles available. The only ones I've actually heard though are the few I listed (UT, BOLT1 & 2, Roverandom).

          ~Chris

          On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM, John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

          Are you sure about the ATB one. I hadn't been aware of that one. Mr. Bliss is also new to me. Thanks for the list -- v. interesting.
          --JDR

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
            > Posted by: "C.N. Bartch" cnbartch@... cnbartch
            > Date: Sat Sep 8, 2012 4:57 pm ((PDT))
            >
            > As for the LOC ones, if you search the catalog at
            > http://www.loc.gov/nls/ you
            > will find quite a few titles available. The only ones I've actually
            > heard though are the few I listed (UT, BOLT1 & 2, Roverandom).

            The LOC titles are only available to the sight-impaired, however... at least, if I read the site correctly. I'm sure there is a copyright issue involved, and I certainly wouldn't want to prevent those whose only option is an audiobook from hearing them, but is there any legal, moral way for those of us who merely enjoy audiobooks to get the LOC versions?

            Paul Westermeyer
            paul.westermeyer@...

            “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
            J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_