Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien audio books

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
      There is also Sigurd and Gudrun, read by Brian Cox.

      Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 9:42 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien audio books

      Yes, Derek Jacobi recorded the Father Christmas Lettersa few years back, and did a great job of it too. Highly recommended.
      I don't know of any of the HME volumes being audiobooks. Alas.
      --John R.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
        There are actually quite a number of Tolkien audio books available in different flavors.
        For unabridged readings there are:
        By Rob Inglis:
        The Hobbit
        The Lord of the Rings
        By Marin Shaw:
        The Silmarillion
        (he also has an abridged recording of The Hobbit out)
        By Christopher Lee:
        The Children of Hurin
        By Derek Jacobi:
        Farmer Giles of Ham
        Smith of Wooten Major
        Leaf by Niggle
        Roverandom
        Letters from Father Christmas
        The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
        Mr. Bliss
        By Terry Jones:
        Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with Pearl and Sir Orfeo
        By Brian Cox (unreleased as far as I'm aware):
        The Ledgend of Sigurd and Gudrun

        Then you have BBC dramatizations of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and Tales from the Perilous Realm. There also exists a BBC dramatization of The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth and an older lost version of The Lord of the Rings.
        Next is the Mind's Eye/NPR dramatizations of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
        Also Nicol Williamson's fantastic dramatization of The Hobbit is one that must not be overlooked.

        Then you have Tolkien's own recordings of excerpts from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, as well as his Poems and Songs of Middle-earth recordings. Also the private recording of The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth by Tolkien which was only ever released on cassette to the 1992 centennial conference.

        I believe that about covers the gamut of  available audio recordings. Of course I may have inadvertently left something off, I would gladly except corrections.

        ~Chris

        Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 9:42 AM

          Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 9:42 AM

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
            Thanks, Chris.  I didn't know about the Library of Congress recordings.

            What I would really like is a dramatic reading of some of the Lays in HoMe #, particularly the incomplete later Lay of Leithian.  I think that would really make those works come to live in a way that most people don't appreciate.

            I presume that they will do an audio book of The Fall of Arthur.  That will be great, I'm sure.

            Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 9:42 AM

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
              Doug Kane wrote:

              >What I would really like is a
              >dramatic reading of some of the Lays in HoMe #, particularly the incomplete
              >later Lay of Leithian. I think that would really make those works come to
              >live in a way that most people don't appreciate.

              Do you want me to suggest this as a program item for next year's Mythcon? They were murmuring at me about doing a dramatic presentation of some sort, and a live group reading would be a cool thing. I'd need to check on whether we'd have to get rights to do this.
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
                David,
                    Check British vs. US copyright law.  Doing a one-off reading, unrecorded & never to be sold, ought to be privileged use.

                    For my part, I’d like to be in on the entertainment with Jo et alia. doing the Motown JRRT, WHERE DID OUR RINGO?

                    I’d also volunteer to be on a panel during the day-tripper sessions called THE PETER JACKSON TRILOGY _THE HOBBIT_: why we hates it & hates it forever.  Party smile

                    Cheers, Mike

                Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 2:20 PM

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
                  David, I think that would be a fantastic idea, if possible.  My best guess is that legally there wouldn't be any issue, but it still would be good to clear it beforehand, just for sake of simple courtesy.

                  Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 12:20 PM

                  Doug Kane wrote:

                  >What I would really like is a
                  >dramatic
                  reading of some of the Lays in HoMe #, particularly the incomplete
                  >later
                  Lay of Leithian. I think that would really make those works come to
                  >live
                  in a way that most people don't appreciate.

                  Do you want me to suggest this as a program item for next year's Mythcon? They were murmuring at me about doing a dramatic presentation of some sort, and a live group reading would be a cool thing. I'd need to check on whether we'd have to get rights to do this.

                  No virus found in this message.

                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
                    Are you sure about the ATB one. I hadn't been aware of that one. Mr. Bliss is also new to me. Thanks for the list -- v. interesting.
                    --JDR

                    Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 9:42 AM

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
                      We did a one-shot five-person dramatic reading of "The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun" at Kalamazoo last year. So suspect it wdn't be a problem.
                      -JDR

                      Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 12:20 PM

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
                        This is shaping.

                        Who is in charge of 2013 Mythcon programming?  I have a few paltry lukewarm lima bean papers & panels to volunteer.

                        Mike

                        Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:18 PM

                        Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 12:20 PM

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 8, 2012
                          The ATB one is only available on the Tales from the Perilous Realm set (http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/56305/tales-from-the-perilous-realm-unabridged-edition-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007237333). That I actually have, so I am quite certain of it.

                          Info on the Mr. Bliss one:  http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/39315/mr-bliss-unabridged-edition-j-r-r-tolkien-9780007440511

                          As for the LOC ones, if you search the catalog at  http://www.loc.gov/nls/ you will find quite a few titles available. The only ones I've actually heard though are the few I listed (UT, BOLT1 & 2, Roverandom).

                          ~Chris

                          Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 9:42 AM

[...]

                        • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 11, 2012
                            > Posted by: "C.N. Bartch" cnbartch@... cnbartch
                            > Date: Sat Sep 8, 2012 4:57 pm ((PDT))
                            >
                            > As for the LOC ones, if you search the catalog at
                            > http://www.loc.gov/nls/ you
                            > will find quite a few titles available. The only ones I've actually
                            > heard though are the few I listed (UT, BOLT1 & 2, Roverandom).

                            The LOC titles are only available to the sight-impaired, however... at least, if I read the site correctly. I'm sure there is a copyright issue involved, and I certainly wouldn't want to prevent those whose only option is an audiobook from hearing them, but is there any legal, moral way for those of us who merely enjoy audiobooks to get the LOC versions?

                            Paul Westermeyer
                            paul.westermeyer@...

                            “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
                            J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_