All the Tolkien (WAS: Re: The Father Christmas Letters Conundrum)

  • JOSEPH
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
      On a vaguely related note, these days if I wanted to get all of Tolkien's non-LotR material (Smith/Giles, Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy Storie, etc., etc.), what volumes would I need to buy? A quick scan of Amazon shows Tales from the Perilous Realm and the Tolkien Reader, but I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two volumes, and what might be missing.

      Thanks!

      Joe

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

      > >Many thanks -- any guesses as to when we can expect to have all of
      > >this material available rather than a George Lucas-ish let's add a
      > >few "never before seen" things to this edition once every decade or so?
      >
      > We couldn't say, but once we see the new edition we'll know how close
      > to complete it is. We've examined the original "Father Christmas"
      > letters file at Oxford.
      >
      > Wayne & Christina

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9, 2012
        Joe,

        On a vaguely related note, these days if I wanted to get all of Tolkien's non-LotR material (Smith/Giles, Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy Storie, etc., etc.), what volumes would I need to buy? A quick scan of Amazon shows Tales from the Perilous Realm and the Tolkien Reader, but I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two volumes, and what might be missing.

        Both Tales from the Perilous Realm and The Tolkien Reader include The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Farmer Giles of Ham, and Leaf by Niggle. Tales also has Smith of Wootton Major and, in the current edition (but not the older one of the same title), Roverandom. The Tolkien Reader also has The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth and On Fairy-Stories (as part of Tree and Leaf with Leaf by Niggle), and includes (though diminished in reproduction) Pauline Baynes's illustrations for Giles and Bombadil.

        Both of these books are fine if you're not particular about the editing or added material. Farmer Giles of Ham is also available separately in the edition prepared for its 50th anniversary by Hammond and Scull, with our introduction and notes and transcriptions of Tolkien's first manuscript version of the story and notes for a sequel. Roverandom likewise has a separate edition with our introduction and notes and Tolkien's related illustrations. On Fairy-Stories and Leaf by Niggle are still available in a separate edition as Tree and Leaf, together with Beorhtnoth and Tolkien's poem Mythopoeia. On Fairy-Stories has also been published separately with significant added material edited by Verlyn Flieger and Douglas A. Anderson. Verlyn has also edited an important edition of Smith of Wootton Major which includes Tolkien's long essay related to the work.

        Wayne
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2012
          Joe,

          On a vaguely related note, these days if I wanted to get all of Tolkien's non-LotR material (Smith/Giles, Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy Storie, etc., etc.), what volumes would I need to buy? A quick scan of Amazon shows Tales from the Perilous Realm and the Tolkien Reader, but I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two volumes, and what might be missing.

          Not to forget the scholarly writings by Tolkien, again including On Fairy-Stories, collected in The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays.

          Wayne