Humphrey C.'s Hobbit

  • hen8wen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2012
      I may have missed it in the recent media notices about the performance of the play/musical of The Hobbit as adapted by Humphrey Carpenter, but does anyone know of the availability of the complete script -- i.e. where Carpenter's papers wound up?

      Glenn Gray
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2012
        I may have missed it in the recent media notices about the performance of the play/musical of The Hobbit as adapted by Humphrey Carpenter, but does anyone know of the availability of the complete script -- i.e. where Carpenter's papers wound up?

        We don't know of a copy of the script in any library or archive (which isn't to say there isn't one somewhere), nor have we heard of Carpenter's papers going to an institution, except for materials at Columbia related to his biography of Auden. It may be that the bulk of his archive, if one has survived, is still with his family.

        Wayne & Christina