The Father Christmas Letters Conundrum

  • hen8wen
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6 3:16 PM
      Amazon UK is showing a new edition of Letters from Father Christmas later this month, this one clocking in at 192 pages and claiming "This revised edition of Tolkien's famous illustrated letters from Father Christmas to his children includes a number of pictures and letters that have not been seen in print before." Does anyone (Christina? Wayne?) know if this edition is truly going to include things that have not already been available since the 1990s revised editions, or is this just a slick marketing job? If I'm not mistaken, this title was reissued just several years ago and marketed as containing "new" material ...

      Glenn Gray
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6 7:42 PM
        Glenn,

        Amazon UK is showing a new edition of Letters from Father Christmas later this month, this one clocking in at 192 pages and claiming "This revised edition of Tolkien's famous illustrated letters from Father Christmas to his children includes a number of pictures and letters that have not been seen in print before." Does anyone (Christina? Wayne?) know if this edition is truly going to include things that have not already been available since the 1990s revised editions, or is this just a slick marketing job? If I'm not mistaken, this title was reissued just several years ago and marketed as containing "new" material ...

        Letters from Father Christmas was last published, as a trade paperback only, by HarperCollins in 2009. That edition restored most of the images present in the 1999 edition but removed in 2004, omitted a few images even so, and included four images not previously published; but many of the pictures were reduced in size, to fit a smaller book format, and some of its colour reproduction left something to be desired. Christina compared all of the editions of the "Father Christmas" letters, and described how the individual letters were (or were not) reproduced, differences in transcription, and the relative quality of the reproductions, in Tolkien Collector 31 (Dec. 2010).

        From public sources, it certainly looks as if the new hardback edition will have additional material. The 2009 edition has 160 pages; the new one is said to have 192, a substantial increase which (if that page count is correct) we assume is due to more material rather than to, say, a larger typesetting. Also, Amazon UK mentions that the book is to contain "brand new high-quality digital reproductions". We'll be interested to see it.

        Wayne & Christina

      • hen8wen
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6 8:54 PM
          Many thanks -- any guesses as to when we can expect to have all of this material available rather than a George Lucas-ish let's add a few "never before seen" things to this edition once every decade or so?

          Glenn

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

          > Glenn,
          >
          > >Amazon UK is showing a new edition of Letters from Father Christmas
          > >later this month, this one clocking in at 192 pages and claiming
          > >"This revised edition of Tolkien's famous illustrated letters from
          > >Father Christmas to his children includes a number of pictures and
          > >letters that have not been seen in print before." Does anyone
          > >(Christina? Wayne?) know if this edition is truly going to include
          > >things that have not already been available since the 1990s revised
          > >editions, or is this just a slick marketing job? If I'm not
          > >mistaken, this title was reissued just several years ago and
          > >marketed as containing "new" material ...
          >
          > Letters from Father Christmas was last published, as a trade
          > paperback only, by HarperCollins in 2009. That edition restored most
          > of the images present in the 1999 edition but removed in 2004,
          > omitted a few images even so, and included four images not previously
          > published; but many of the pictures were reduced in size, to fit a
          > smaller book format, and some of its colour reproduction left
          > something to be desired. Christina compared all of the editions of
          > the "Father Christmas" letters, and described how the individual
          > letters were (or were not) reproduced, differences in transcription,
          > and the relative quality of the reproductions, in Tolkien Collector
          > 31 (Dec. 2010).
          >
          > From public sources, it certainly looks as if the new hardback
          > edition will have additional material. The 2009 edition has 160
          > pages; the new one is said to have 192, a substantial increase which
          > (if that page count is correct) we assume is due to more material
          > rather than to, say, a larger typesetting. Also, Amazon UK mentions
          > that the book is to contain "brand new high-quality digital
          > reproductions". We'll be interested to see it.
          >
          > Wayne & Christina

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8 4:53 AM
            Many thanks -- any guesses as to when we can expect to have all of this material available rather than a George Lucas-ish let's add a few "never before seen" things to this edition once every decade or so?

            We couldn't say, but once we see the new edition we'll know how close to complete it is. We've examined the original "Father Christmas" letters file at Oxford.

            Wayne & Christina
          • JOSEPH
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8 7:30 AM
              On a vaguely related note, these days if I wanted to get all of Tolkien's non-LotR material (Smith/Giles, Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy Storie, etc., etc.), what volumes would I need to buy? A quick scan of Amazon shows Tales from the Perilous Realm and the Tolkien Reader, but I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two volumes, and what might be missing.

              Thanks!

              Joe

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

              > >Many thanks -- any guesses as to when we can expect to have all of
              > >this material available rather than a George Lucas-ish let's add a
              > >few "never before seen" things to this edition once every decade or so?
              >
              > We couldn't say, but once we see the new edition we'll know how close
              > to complete it is. We've examined the original "Father Christmas"
              > letters file at Oxford.
              >
              > Wayne & Christina

            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9 11:53 AM
                Joe,

                On a vaguely related note, these days if I wanted to get all of Tolkien's non-LotR material (Smith/Giles, Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy Storie, etc., etc.), what volumes would I need to buy? A quick scan of Amazon shows Tales from the Perilous Realm and the Tolkien Reader, but I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two volumes, and what might be missing.

                Both Tales from the Perilous Realm and The Tolkien Reader include The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Farmer Giles of Ham, and Leaf by Niggle. Tales also has Smith of Wootton Major and, in the current edition (but not the older one of the same title), Roverandom. The Tolkien Reader also has The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth and On Fairy-Stories (as part of Tree and Leaf with Leaf by Niggle), and includes (though diminished in reproduction) Pauline Baynes's illustrations for Giles and Bombadil.

                Both of these books are fine if you're not particular about the editing or added material. Farmer Giles of Ham is also available separately in the edition prepared for its 50th anniversary by Hammond and Scull, with our introduction and notes and transcriptions of Tolkien's first manuscript version of the story and notes for a sequel. Roverandom likewise has a separate edition with our introduction and notes and Tolkien's related illustrations. On Fairy-Stories and Leaf by Niggle are still available in a separate edition as Tree and Leaf, together with Beorhtnoth and Tolkien's poem Mythopoeia. On Fairy-Stories has also been published separately with significant added material edited by Verlyn Flieger and Douglas A. Anderson. Verlyn has also edited an important edition of Smith of Wootton Major which includes Tolkien's long essay related to the work.

                Wayne
              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 9 11:56 AM
                  Joe,

                  On a vaguely related note, these days if I wanted to get all of Tolkien's non-LotR material (Smith/Giles, Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy Storie, etc., etc.), what volumes would I need to buy? A quick scan of Amazon shows Tales from the Perilous Realm and the Tolkien Reader, but I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the two volumes, and what might be missing.

                  Not to forget the scholarly writings by Tolkien, again including On Fairy-Stories, collected in The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays.

                  Wayne