Re: [mythsoc] Re: A Rare Tolkienian Treasure

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
      Merlin

      Thanks for your email.  I did take some advice on this and was told that if it is a limited use and not for any profit it would be fine to include as a post on my blog with pixs and a transcription.  As I have done this on my blog which has a very limited readership and our Tolkien academic community I thought it would be fine to share this as it would be of interest and i hope I did this in a consdiered academic way setting a context for the letter.  I will be going to the Bodleian Library soon to do some field work for my Tolkien work and I have been advised by a leading Tolkien scholar whose opinion I very much respect to show the letter to the Tolkien manuscript team there which I will do.

      I did not intend to use this letter in any published materials and if this were to arise I would ask for further advice on how to do this and if permission from the estate would be needed.

      Hope that clarifies. I have seen similar Tolkien letters with transcriptions on websites attempting to selll these letters for profit - my objective was to share an interesting piece of Tolkien's communication with our community and will never try to profit from it as it is a cherished gift and that wold be tantamount to trying to auction a silmaril on Ebay!

      Thanks Andy

      Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

      Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
      Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)
      and now a word from our supporters......
      http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

      asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
      Mobile 07500 827793
      And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

      On 5 Sep 2012, at 20:20, not_thou <emptyD@...> wrote:

      It's always a treat to see a new Tolkien letter, so I hate to seem ungrateful by asking this, but doesn't quoting more than a fair-use snippet of someone else's previously unpublished letter, even one that you physically own, require the permission of the writer or his heirs?

      -Merlin