Tolkiendil

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2012
      Why is the French Tolkien society called Tolkiendil?  Why in one comment in the blog linked to in Andrew Higgins' post does someone (who apparently speaks French) use the word "Tolkiendil" to mean something like "fan of Tolkien"?  I don't know of a suffix "-dil" in French, but I admit I'm no expert.

      Wendell Wagner
    • drussy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2012
        In fact, the word Tolkiendil (friend of Tolkien) is based on the quenya root -(n)dil=friend. The French Tolkien society have used it as its name but we are all Tolkiendili, friends of Tolkien.

        Vivien.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2012
          Vivien,

          Thank you.  I guess this shows that I'm not much of an expert of Elvish either.

          Wendell