Special issue of l'Arc et le Heaume - Tolkien 1892 - 2012

  • drussy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2012
      Dear friends,

      As you already know, this year will mark the 120th anniversary of Tolkien's birth. To celebrate the event, the association Tolkiendil (www.tolkiendil.fr), which promotes the work of J.R.R. Tolkien throughout the French-speaking world, publish a special issue of its magazine L'Arc et le Heaume. Several authors honoured us by writing brand new essays for this volume, or by providing us with texts never published in French before. In addition, The Tolkien Estate, HarperCollins and Verlyn Flieger allowed us to translate Tolkien's own essay on Smith of Wootton Major, previously issued in the expanded edition of that tale in 2005 and still unreleased in French :

      - Vivien Stocker: "Éditorial"
      - Isabelle Pantin: "Tolkien et le Romantisme" [Tolkien and Romanticism]
      - Thomas Honegger: "Plus de Lumière que d'Ombre? Approches Jungiennes de Tolkien et de l'Image Archétypale de l'Ombre" [More Light than Shadow? Jungian Approaches to Tolkien and the Archetypeal Image of the Shadow]
      - John D. Rateliff: "Un Fragment, Détaché: Bilbo le Hobbit et Le Silmarillion" [A Fragment, Detached: The Hobbit and The Silmarillion]
      - Tom Shippey: "Arbres, Tronçonneuses, et Visions du Paradis" [Trees, Chainsaws, and Visions of Paradise]
      - Jason Fisher: "La Jeune Fille Elfe dans la Forêt: Une Image Récurrente chez Tolkien" [Tolkien's Recurrent Image of the Elf Maiden in the Wood]
      - Jérôme Sainton: "Amdir ah Estel"
      - Jean-Rodolphe Turlin: "Wandering Madness: Le Motif de l'Errance dans l'Œuvre de Tolkien" [Wandering Madness: The Motif of Wandering in Tolkien's Works]
      - Ursula Le Guin: "Schémas Rythmiques dans Le Seigneur des Anneaux" [Rhythmic Pattern in The Lord of the Rings]
      - Ted Nasmith: "Une Longue Histoire" [A Long Affair]
      - Bertrand Bellet: "Sir Orfeo, une Traduction" [Sir Orfeo, a Translation]
      - J.R.R. Tolkien: "Essai sur Smith de Wootton Major" [Essay on Smith of Wootton Major]

      The entire volume will be in French.
      The volume is available to order at : http://www.tolkiendil.com/asso/mag/hs1
      I hope you'll enjoy it !

      Vivien Stocker

      PS: Thanks to Jason Fisher for the translation of the french titles in English and sorry for my English ;)
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25, 2012
        In a message dated 8/25/2012 9:42:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, drussy@... writes:
         its magazine L'Arc et le Heaume

        The most interesting thing about this for me was trying to figure out why the French Tolkien society would give its journal this name.  I could figure out that "l'arc" was "the bow" and "le heaume" was "the helmet," although it's not the most common way to say this.  The most common way to say "helmet" is "casque."  But then I wondered why they used this phrase, since, while bows and helmets appear in Tolkien, I didn't realize it was a standard phrase.  Some searching showed that in the Silmarillion Dor-Cúarthol is referred to as the "Land of Bow and Helm."  I'm not sure why they picked this particular name for their journal.  Did they pick "heaume" rather than "casque" because "helm" is the less common name for the object (rather than "helmet")?  Did they pick it because "heaume" is (presumably) cognate with "helm"?  Excuse my pickiness, but this is fascinating to me.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2012
          Hi, Wendell,

          Great question! Fascinating to me too!

          While I think the best answer will probably come from Vivien (I hope he will chime in), I think you're getting warm when you say: "Did they pick 'heaume' rather than 'casque' because [...] 'heaume' is (presumably) cognate with 'helm'?"

          The French word heame is not an actual cognate, but rather a borrowing from the Germanic (F heaume < OF helme < Frankish *helm, OHG helm). Casque, on the other hand, is of purely Italic etymology (F casque < Sp casco < L quassāre). But since Tolkien would surely have preferred a purely Germanic word over a purely Italic one, heame is more suitable than casque. It is also, as you suggest, less mundane and more poetic than casque. Interestingly enough, the English helm comes straight from Old English helm, but English helmet was a re-borrowing from French (which, remember, had gotten the root word from Germanic in the first place). The –et suffix marked a diminutive, so OF healmet, helmet > MF helmet > E helmet. This would have happened sometime toward the end of the 15th century (according to the earliest citation in the OED). The same thing, by the way, happened with casque > casquet > E casket.

          Well, you did say you were interested. ;)

          Best,
          Jason

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2012
              Sure. Yours is the broader, more colloquial usage; mine, the narrower, more specific. See, for example, Trask's Dictionary of Historical and Comparative Linguistics (Edinburgh University Press, 2000), which gives both definitions. Anyway, you're welcome! :)

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2012
                I'm not expert in etymology at all but, like says Jason, 'heaume' is cognate with 'helm'. And personnally, I find that in French, 'casque' is too modern, associated with motorbike, whereas 'heaume' is more medieval ;)
                But the basic reason is that the official translation of The Land of Bow and Helm in the Silmarillion is le Pays de l'Arc et du Heaume, like you have guessed it. Why this name more than another, I don't know but I assume that is its originality was appreciate !

                Vivien