Special issue of Mythprint: Celebrating The Hobbit

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2012
      Hello, all,

      I am planning to focus the September issue of Mythprint on the 75th anniversary of The Hobbit. To that end, I'd like to invite submissions on the subject. Please send me a couple of sentences, or if you have a bit more to say, a paragraph or two on The Hobbit. I'm looking for special memories and associations — such as the first time you read the book, a memory of reading it aloud to children, your thoughts on its place in the canon of children's and/or fantasy literature, a memory of reading the first edition with the original Gollum story, etc. For international readers, I'd also welcome thoughts on The Hobbit in translation, or perhaps a recollection of the experience of tackling it in English, if English isn't your cradle-tongue. The more of these submissions I get, the better, so don't delay. Take a moment or two and send me something as soon as you have a little time to spare. If you have an idea for something of a bit more substance and length on this or a closely related topic, please let me here from you as soon as possible.

      Thanks, one and all,
      Jason Fisher
      Editor, Mythprint
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2012
        Jase,
            I’d like to write on Ch. 1.  Word limit, please?
        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 21, 2012
          My mother had run out of books to read to my youngest brother at bed time.  We had been through all the Oz books, both the tattered copies we owned and the ones we could find in the public library.  She asked a friend of hers, wife of an Anglophile college professor, for recommendations, and the friend reached into her bookcase and pulled out a green-clad volume she had brought back from one of their trips to England.  "Try this," she said.  This was long before Tolkien appeared in paperback in the U.S., so this book and its author were completely unknown to us.

          So my mother started reading THE HOBBIT aloud to my kid brother, a chapter at a time.  Several nights in a row, I stood outside his room (heaven forbid I should even inch a toe over the threshhold!) and listened to this captivating story.  I don't remember how long I did this before it finally dawned on me that I could read it myself, without waiting for the next installment!  I may have been making good grades in school, but this simple solution seemed to have been slow in penetrating my brain.  I borrowed the book and eagerly read ahead to the finish.  There I saw the magic words: "If you are interested in Hobbits...."

          Fortunately, the same family friend had also brought back from England hardcover editions of THE LORD OF THE RINGS, so my desire for all things Hobbit was more than satisfied.  That is, until I saw the appendices....

          David Emerson
[...]

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2012
            If you would like to contribute a short memory of reading The Hobbit, share something of what it means to you, tell a story of reading it to your own children, etc., etc., then now is the time. I am working on the September issue as we speak. I still have room for a few small recollections — a few sentences or a paragraph or two each — if you can get them to me today or tomorrow. The original request is copied below.

            Best,
            Jason

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2012
              Hi Jason,

              When my husband and I welcomed our daughter into the world, we knew from the start that we wanted to read to her every day. Our choice for the first book she would ever hear was The Hobbit, and the three of us shared reading it together as we created our new family.

              :)

              -Alana

              Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
              Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets" http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets