Re: NPR: Vote for 10 best teen novels

  • davise@cs.nyu.edu
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@... wrote:

      > Are there any fiction books with maps earlier than Treasure Island (1883)?

      Well, having Googled around, the answer to my own question is that the first editions of both "Robinson Crusoe" and "Gulliver's Travels" had illustrations by Herman Moll, who was a major cartographer of the time.

      Also, older, there are charts (though not exactly maps) by Bartolomeo
      (I can't figure out _which_ Bartolomeo -- it's dated 1420, which doesn't correspond to any of the Bartolomeo painters in Wikipedia) and by Botticelli.

      -- Ernie
    • davise@cs.nyu.edu
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@... wrote:

        > Also, older, there are charts (though not exactly maps)

        Of Dante's Inferno. Sorry.