Re: [mythsoc] Re: NPR: Vote for 10 best teen novels

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
      <davise@...> wrote:

      >> My theory, voiced in this Chesterton magazine essay on TREASURE
      >> ISLAND, which got one of my votes, is that all good books should begin
      >> with a map.
      >
      > Did any of Chesterton's own books have a map?

      I don't think so, though I found a street atlas of London moderately useful
      when I read "The Napoleon of Notting Hill".
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
        Thanks.

        Doughan & Northfarthing (London) smial folks walked us around Notting Hill before we ended up at The Slug & Lettuce then Jeremy Morgan’s haberdashery to read Charles Noad’s proofs of The Peoples of Middle-earth.

        I saw an early typo he’d missed.

        The only time I heard him say A Very Bad Word.

        Mike

        Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:11 PM
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re: NPR: Vote for 10 best teen novels

      • davise@cs.nyu.edu
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@... wrote:

          > Are there any fiction books with maps earlier than Treasure Island (1883)?

          Well, having Googled around, the answer to my own question is that the first editions of both "Robinson Crusoe" and "Gulliver's Travels" had illustrations by Herman Moll, who was a major cartographer of the time.

          Also, older, there are charts (though not exactly maps) by Bartolomeo
          (I can't figure out _which_ Bartolomeo -- it's dated 1420, which doesn't correspond to any of the Bartolomeo painters in Wikipedia) and by Botticelli.

          -- Ernie
        • davise@cs.nyu.edu
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2012
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@... wrote:

            > Also, older, there are charts (though not exactly maps)

            Of Dante's Inferno. Sorry.