Jack Zipes speaking tonight in St. Paul, MN

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 7:01 AM
      If anyone isn't on the local MythSoc Rivendell discussion e-list but lives in this area, I wanted t o alert you to this event.  And if you're not aware of Jack Zipes's new book, you might be interested to hear of it.

      I wanted to alert you to this event, with Jack Zipes.  Prof. Zipes is currently a finalist for the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Myth & Fantasy Studies, which will be announced/awarded at Mythcon in Berkeley, CA, this Sunday--actually for his last book, The Enchanted Screen: The Unknown History of Fairy-Tale Films.  We've had some Rivendell discussions with Prof. Zipes in the past, for instance on the short fantasy stories of Hermann Hesse, which he had translated, collected and edited, back in the 90s, and he delivered the keynote address at our Mythcon 24, when we held it here in '93.  Prof. Zipes is always an interesting and stimulating speaker, so don't miss this if you can make it!
      See also the press release from David Unowsky (the long-time operator of Hungry Mind bookstore) who's launched a new bookstore, below.

      *****************
      This weekend is Diversicon, also in St. Paul, at Bandana Square.  I'd hoped to include some program highlights, but haven't received the schedule as yet.  There are some interesting panels planned, you might see if there's anything posted on the web-site at http://www.diversicon.org/ or on its Facebook site, but I didn't find anything new, just now.

      I'll try to send another note  later in the week [just to the Rivendell list] with information about upcoming Fantasy & SF book discussions in the area for August, and possible plans for September.
      *****************

      Contact:

      David Unowsky
      david.unowsky@...
      612-845-5537

       Jack Zipes presents his recent book: The Irresistible Fairy Tale: the Cultural and Social History of a Genre at Subtext:a bookstore. Jack's talk will be entitled:"Poor Snow White and the Resistible Hype of Fairy Tale Films".

      Who: Jack Zipes, professor emeritus University of Minnesota
      What : book talk and signing
      When: 7pm Wednesday, August 1
      Where: SubText: a bookstore
                 165 Western Avenue North, St. Paul, below Nina's Coffee Cafe
                 651-493-3871

      Jack Zipes is a nationally known and honored scholar and teacher of folk and fairy tales, mythology, and storytelling. His new book, The Irresistible Fairy Tale: the Cultural and Social History of a Genre presents a provocative new theory about why fairy tales were created and retold--and why they became such an indelible and infinitely adaptable part of cultures around the world.

      Jack Zipes is professor emeritus of German and comparative literature at the University of Minnesota and the author, translator, and editor of dozens of studies and collections of folk and fairy tales. His recent books include Why Fairy Tales Stick: The Evolution and Relevance of a GenreRelentless Progress: The Reconfiguration of Children's Literature, Fairy Tales, and Storytelling; and The Enchanted Screen: The Unknown History of Fairy-Tale Films.

      "Zipes is one of a handful of today's true experts on the fairy tale. Needless to say, he brings considerable erudition to this book, which covers some broad issues in fairy tale analysis such as how they spread (he takes his lead from Richard Dawkins's theory of cultural memes) and the role of women collectors and narrators. . . . General readers with an interest in fairy tales will definitely enjoy what Zipes has to say."--David Azzolina, Library Journal

      "This is Zipes's magnum opus, the culmination of more than thirty years of research, and his broadest consideration yet of the fairy tale. He tackles very difficult fundamental questions, and provides credible theoretical foundations and historical evidence for the answers he proposes. Ultimately, he redirects the conversation about the origins, nature, and appeal of the fairy tale."--Donald Haase, editor of Marvels & Tales: Journal of Fairy-Tale Studies

      For the publisher's material: www.princeton.edu/titles/9676.html

      For further event info:
      David Unowsky
      david.unowsky@...