Re: [mythsoc] New Tolkien Studies co-editor

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 14 10:02 AM
      Congratulations David and Merlin!  We can celebrate at Mythcon.

      David

      On Jul 14, 2012, at 11:52 AM, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

      Verlyn Flieger asked me to forward this to the list, which I am happy to do, not least because it affords me the opportunity to be the first to congratulate David, and also Merlin, as well as to thank Doug for his years of hard work, and wish him the best of luck in his new endeavor.

      Michael D.C. Drout and Verlyn Flieger are pleased to welcome David Bratman as third co-editor of Tolkien Studies. David will also be Book Review Editor, succeeding Doug Anderson, who has left the journal and is managing his own publishing imprint. For many years David has compiled the Year's Work section of the journal, and is admirably fitted to take on the job of Book Review Editor. Merlin DeTardo, who has worked with David on the Year's Work, will now be in full charge of the Year's Work.
      We look forward to working with David, and to future years of collaboration.

      Verlyn Flieger
      Michael D.C. Drout

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 14 10:06 AM
        My congratulations to Merlin and David one taking the oars.

        Thanks and always all best wishes from me and Jo to Doug.

        The Road goes ever on.

        We hope to see you all next summer in Kalamazoo or/and Ann Arbor.

        Cheers,
        Mike

[...]

      • Troels Forchhammer
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 14 10:58 AM
          Indeed, congratulations to both Merlin DeTardo and David Bratman, as well as thank you and good wind to Doug Anderson.

          /Troels

          --
              Love while you've got
                  love to give.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 14 11:08 AM
            I should add a big thank you to Verlyn and Mike for their years of hard work, and continued service.

            Doug

[...]

                                        love email again

            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 14 12:55 PM
                Two profoundly appropriate and much deserved promotions, both serving the good of the journal and its community of readers. Congratulations to David and Merlin. I'll echo these kudos in person at Mythcon in a few weeks. :)

                Jason

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 14 1:02 PM

                  You’re coming, Jason?  Yay!  I thought that with the move and the new job, you might not.

                  See you there!

                  I’m bringing a few bottles of ChocoVine, Dutch chocolate in red wine.  We can lift a glass to David and Merlin then.

                  Berni

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 14 1:30 PM
                    Sounds great! See you there, Berni! :)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 14 2:14 PM
                      This is wonderful news. Although Doug Anderson's work will be much missed by Tolkien Studies readers such as myself, I can't think of any better people to be promoted than David Bratman and Merlin de Tardo.

                      Looking forward to joining the celebration at Mythcon-- though I'll pass on that chocolate wine stuff of Berni's ;-).

                      Leslie
                      --
                      Leslie A. Donovan
                      Associate Professor of the University Honors Program

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 14 3:46 PM
                        Thank you all for the kind words. I've put my thoughts on this occasion at
                        http://kalimac.blogspot.com/2012/07/student-of-tolkien.html

                      • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 24 8:27 AM
                            The corrected and updated Mythcon 43 schedule is online:

                            http://www.mythsoc.org/assets/mythcon-43-schedule.html

                            We hope to see many of you there.
                          • Ferre
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 27 3:20 AM
                              Good morning to all,

                              For those who read French, here is the twitter # for the conference on Tolkien & the Inklings, held in Normandy (Centre international Cerisy la salle), in presence of Adam Tolkien.

                              All the details & program here : http://pourtolkien.fr/spip.php?article122

                              best wishes,

                              Dr. Vincent Ferré
                              Professeur, Littérature générale et comparée
                              Université Paris Est (Créteil), Centre “Lettres, Idées, Savoirs”