Mythcon 43 schedule

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 13, 2012
      http://www.mythsoc.org/assets/mythcon-43-schedule.html

      The Mythcon 43 schedule, open at last. I wrote this, yes I did, so blame me
      for the goofy panel titles and descriptions, as well as for the inevitable
      spots where the two papers you most want to hear are on opposite each other.
      I must have done that on purpose to frustrate you; can't think of any other
      reason.

      Warning: this IS a draft, and some changes will be made. So far none
      of the panelists has objected to the timing of anything, even when I ate
      into their lunchtimes; but most of the paper presenters haven't seen it yet.
      Apparently the list of papers I was given didn't have some late title
      changes (hmph), so that will be fixed later.

      The only matter of concern to the average attendee is that checkout time on
      Monday is noon, not 1 pm. We'll be shoving stuff forward a bit to make room
      for that. (The Members' Meeting isn't really going to take 90
      minutes, anyway.)
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
        Verlyn Flieger asked me to forward this to the list, which I am happy to do, not least because it affords me the opportunity to be the first to congratulate David, and also Merlin, as well as to thank Doug for his years of hard work, and wish him the best of luck in his new endeavor.

        Michael D.C. Drout and Verlyn Flieger are pleased to welcome David Bratman as third co-editor of Tolkien Studies. David will also be Book Review Editor, succeeding Doug Anderson, who has left the journal and is managing his own publishing imprint. For many years David has compiled the Year's Work section of the journal, and is admirably fitted to take on the job of Book Review Editor. Merlin DeTardo, who has worked with David on the Year's Work, will now be in full charge of the Year's Work.
        We look forward to working with David, and to future years of collaboration.

        Verlyn Flieger
        Michael D.C. Drout
      • Oberhelman, D

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
            My congratulations to Merlin and David one taking the oars.

            Thanks and always all best wishes from me and Jo to Doug.

            The Road goes ever on.

            We hope to see you all next summer in Kalamazoo or/and Ann Arbor.

            Cheers,
            Mike

[...]

          • Troels Forchhammer
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
              Indeed, congratulations to both Merlin DeTardo and David Bratman, as well as thank you and good wind to Doug Anderson.

              /Troels

              --
                  Love while you've got
                      love to give.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
                I should add a big thank you to Verlyn and Mike for their years of hard work, and continued service.

                Doug

[...]

                                            love email again

                • Jason Fisher
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
                    Two profoundly appropriate and much deserved promotions, both serving the good of the journal and its community of readers. Congratulations to David and Merlin. I'll echo these kudos in person at Mythcon in a few weeks. :)

                    Jason

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012

                      You’re coming, Jason?  Yay!  I thought that with the move and the new job, you might not.

                      See you there!

                      I’m bringing a few bottles of ChocoVine, Dutch chocolate in red wine.  We can lift a glass to David and Merlin then.

                      Berni

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
                        Sounds great! See you there, Berni! :)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
                          This is wonderful news. Although Doug Anderson's work will be much missed by Tolkien Studies readers such as myself, I can't think of any better people to be promoted than David Bratman and Merlin de Tardo.

                          Looking forward to joining the celebration at Mythcon-- though I'll pass on that chocolate wine stuff of Berni's ;-).

                          Leslie
                          --
                          Leslie A. Donovan
                          Associate Professor of the University Honors Program

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 14, 2012
                            Thank you all for the kind words. I've put my thoughts on this occasion at
                            http://kalimac.blogspot.com/2012/07/student-of-tolkien.html

                          • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 24, 2012
                                The corrected and updated Mythcon 43 schedule is online:

                                http://www.mythsoc.org/assets/mythcon-43-schedule.html

                                We hope to see many of you there.
                              • Ferre
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 27, 2012
                                  Good morning to all,

                                  For those who read French, here is the twitter # for the conference on Tolkien & the Inklings, held in Normandy (Centre international Cerisy la salle), in presence of Adam Tolkien.

                                  All the details & program here : http://pourtolkien.fr/spip.php?article122

                                  best wishes,

                                  Dr. Vincent Ferré
                                  Professeur, Littérature générale et comparée
                                  Université Paris Est (Créteil), Centre “Lettres, Idées, Savoirs”