RE: Question of Morris influence on Tolkein

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2012
      > 1. Question of Morris influence on Tolkein
      > Posted by: "Zachary Bos" zakbos@... naturezak
      > Date: Mon Jul 9, 2012 8:38 am ((PDT))
      >
      > I wonder if list members could direct me to any influence "The Roots
      > of the Mountains" may have had on LOTR.
      >
      > All best,
      >
      > Zachary

      I recently reviewed Morris' _The House of the Wolfings_ for Knights of the Dinner Table #187[ http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_23_24&products_id=820&bcsi_scan_35BFA89D0A0051F4=fRc6FSroITLYAzeRERzcJgQ+mTgiAAAAb2sjMQ==&bcsi_scan_filename=product_info.php ].

      I'm not the Tolkien scholar that many here are, but it seemed obvious to me that Morris' text had a large impact on the culture of the Rohirrim in LotR, as well as the Edain in the Silmarillion. I think it was more than both writers using the same cultures as inspiration, though there is obviously that as well. Morris seems to embody that 'Nertherness' in his writing that Tolkien so esteemed.

      Paul Westermeyer
      paul.westermeyer@...

      “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_