RINGS MC KELLEN RELIES ON TOLKIEN

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2000
      RINGS MC KELLEN RELIES ON TOLKIEN

      Ian McKellen, who is in New Zealand to play Gandalf in Peter Jackson's
      upcoming film trilogy The Lord of the Rings, told fans on his official Web
      site that he's sticking closely to the J.R.R. Tolkien novels of the same
      name upon which the movies are based. "I haven't felt a need for outside
      references, as Tolkien's characterization, especially of Gandalf the Grey,
      is full of lively particulars," McKellen said in response to a fan
      question.
      "The book is resident in my dressing room/trailer."

      McKellen added that he's up to the challenge of playing Gandalf in the
      three
      films, which are being filmed out of sequence and back to back. "Plays are
      often rehearsed piecemeal, and scenes may only be played sequentially as
      the
      dress rehearsal approaches," he said. "So as long as wits are about us,
      shooting scenes for the third film before the first is completed is not
      unnerving. [Director] Peter Jackson's grasp of the story and its changing
      moods is so sure that he is the reliable guide whom we can safely trust.
      Wardrobe and makeup personnel can be flustered more than the actors, for
      they must ensure the continuity of appearance is accurate. They are aided
      by
      Polaroid snapshots and the written notes of the script supervisor Victoria
      Sullivan. And video playback is invaluable."

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists