Bayeaux Tapestry

  • scribblerworks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
      This doesn't really fit our usual topics of discussion, but for a book project I'm working on, I need to find a picture of the Bayeaux Tapestry that gives an idea of its length.

      I know there are such pictures on the internet, but they are not necessarily clearly marked as to who owns the photo, whether it is freely available, or whether a license fee is required.

      I'm posting to the group because I hope for a potential cross interest between mythopoeic literature and medieval interests, and that someone on this list might have a good quality photo they would be willing to let me use in this book (with full credit as photographer and owner of copyright of the photo, of course!). For free, ideally.

      The image(s) would be printed in grayscale in the book, but a full color photograph can be easily converted (ah, Photoshop!).

      If any of you have such a picture or know someone who does and would be willing to let me use it, you can respond either to this post or email me directly at scribbler@...

      Thanks so much, folks! Sarah Beach
    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
        What you really want then is Martin Foys Digital Bayeux Tapestry, http://www.sd-editions.com/bayeux/index.html  Very cool stuff.

        Or  Wilson, David M. The Bayeux Tapestry: the Complete Tapestry in Colour with Introduction, Description and Commentary. London: Thames and Hudson, 1985. 234, ill.

        Hicks, Carola. The Bayeux Tapestry: The Life Story of a Masterpiece. London: Vintage Books, 2006. x, 358, ill. + plates.

        Any of those should get you what you need.
        --
        Larry Swain

      • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
          Thanks, Larry, I'll look into them. But I suspect that the fees for
          reproducing photos from any of those souces are going to be kind of high
          for my budget (which is basically nothing right now).

          But I'll check.

          Sarah.

        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
            Contact Martin directly, his web page is here: http://www.drew.edu/english/meet-the-faculty#toc-1 and the folks at SDE.  The point of SDE has been to make digital editions available for research and teaching at affordable prices; can't hurt to ask.
            --
            Larry Swain

            http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...

          • mem@rialto.org
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
              Sarah,
              I think I should look for a photo of the nterior Bayeaux cathedral. Although I've seen the tapestry, it's size was really brought home to me when I visited the church where it was made to hang and saw the space going all around the interior of the church. I will look through my old photos (1990s) and see if I have a good shot that might help.
              Mem Morman

              Scribblerworks <scribbler@...> wrote :

              > This doesn't really fit our usual topics of discussion, but for a book project I'm working on, I need to find a picture of the Bayeaux Tapestry that gives an idea of its length.
              >
              > I know there are such pictures on the internet, but they are not necessarily clearly marked as to who owns the photo, whether it is freely available, or whether a license fee is required.
              >
              > I'm posting to the group because I hope for a potential cross interest between mythopoeic literature and medieval interests, and that someone on this list might have a good quality photo they would be willing to let me use in this book (with full credit as photographer and owner of copyright of the photo, of course!). For free, ideally.
              >
              > The image(s) would be printed in grayscale in the book, but a full color photograph can be easily converted (ah, Photoshop!).
              >
              > If any of you have such a picture or know someone who does and would be willing to let me use it, you can respond either to this post or email me directly at scribbler@...
              >
              > Thanks so much, folks! Sarah Beach

              ___________________________________
              Sent using PCI Broadband webmail
            • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                Thanks, Mem

                The purpose is to show that it is a long piece of "graphic storytelling".
                So it needn't be super-clear on all the details. People have seen straight
                on shots of the style so much that they forget there's a quite different
                over-all story being told.

                That's what I'm going for.

                I apprecite the assists and recommendations, of course. :D

                Sarah

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                  Another thing you have to see in situ is the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Seen as a whole, it doesn't look anything like photographs of particular panels or small groups of panels, which is all I'd ever seen before, had led me to expect.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                    Sarah -

                    You've looked at the Wikipedia scroll image of the whole thing, right? Is that PD?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                      I must have overlooked that.

                      I'd be interested in THAT for my own curiousity, but it wouldn't be useful
                      for the book I'm writing, which is about "graphic sequential
                      storytelling." That is the reason I'm looking for a long shot of the
                      tapestry which I can use without paying a high (for my current budget)
                      license fee. This is to illustrate a point in my book, so it WILL be in
                      print.

                      Like I said, there are a couple of lovely shots online that have this
                      angle, but the copyrights and permissions to use them are not clear. So I
                      need to find an image where I know EXACTLY who the copyright holder is.

                      Sarah

                    • John Rateliff
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012

                        On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:20 AM, scribbler@... wrote:
                        The purpose is to show that it is a long piece of "graphic storytelling".

                        --in that case, don't forget The Papyrus of Ani!, which includes not just the sequence of visual images (in the chronological order of the events being told) but also narrative and in some cases dialogue.
                           Sounds like an interesting project overall.

                        --John R.