Re: portrait / itw of Christopher Tolkien - Le monde

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9 10:24 AM
      > Good evening to all,
      >
      > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a
      > journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
      > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-
      > de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
      >
      > best wishes,
      > Dr. Vincent Ferré
      > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature – Mcf Hdr

      It looks like an interesting article, but I do not trust my [very poor] French translation skills to properly read it. Any chance that more skilled French readers might summarize the article, let us know if anything earth-shaking or revelatory is discussed?

      Paul Westermeyer
      paul.westermeyer@...

      “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
    • GH Chinoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9 1:33 PM
        My French is 7th grade, but Google Translate's much better (albeit not terribly fluent) - enough to get the gist of things. If you open the link in Chrome, it'll autotranslate from French.

        To be honest, reading through the Google translated French is a bit of an adventure, as a lot of the article talks about how Christopher and Baillie had to piece together Tolkien's various notes and manuscripts. I'm not sure how much here is new, other than some of the quotes of Christopher Tolkien and the views portrayed.

        "They gutted the book, making an action movie for 15-25 year olds , [regrets] Christopher. And it seems that The Hobbit will be of the same ilk. "

        On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Westermeyer GS11 Paul W <paul.westermeyer@...> wrote:

        > Good evening to all,

        > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a
        > journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
        > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-
        > de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
        >
        > best wishes,
        > Dr. Vincent Ferré
        > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature – Mcf Hdr

        It looks like an interesting article, but I do not trust my [very poor] French translation skills to properly read it. Any chance that more skilled French readers might summarize the article, let us know if anything earth-shaking or revelatory is discussed?

        Paul Westermeyer
        paul.westermeyer@...

        “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
        J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_

      • Romuald I
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10 10:27 AM
          Merci vient nous le faire savoir (Thanks for letting us know).

          I happened to be in Paris (my first time) attending a conference on Thomas More when I read Vincent Ferre's
          message on my iPhone (in a very crowded MacDonalds on the rue de Rivoli, the main shopping district). I
          immediately rushed out and managed to find a copy of Le Monde Weekend (7th), even though the Sunday edition
          (8th) was already on the newsstands. I've only now had a chance to read the article properly now that I am
          back home in Edmonton. My French is not good enough to translate the article, but my overall impression is
          that although much of it covers familiar ground, it has some  important points to make nonetheless. It records
          Christopher Tolkien's "desespoir intellectuel" at the reception  and commercial exploitation of the Lord of the Rings
          and the Hobbit, especially in the recent films, but the article also goes into some depth about Christopher Tolkien's
          labours to bring the world of the Silmarillion to light. (The map in the Le Monde is actually the second? Silmarillion map).

          I think the interview (which also includes a couple of quotes from our colleague Vincent Ferre and one  from Tom Shippey)
          is well worth publishing in English translation, if Le Monde and the Tolkien Estate agree and don't demand excessive
          permissions Fees -- perhaps in Tolkien Studies or Mythlore. It would probably be good in that case (if it doesn't cost
          extra) to include the original French on facing pages. Perhaps our colleague Professor Ferre (who incidentally has a
          book on Tolkien: Dictionaire -Tolkien coming out in September) could make enquiries with Le Monde to see if this is possible.
          Amicalement
          Romuald Lakowski

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ferre" <ferretolk@...> wrote:

          > Good evening to all,
          >
          > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
          > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
          >
          > best wishes,
          > Dr. Vincent Ferré
          > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature â€" Mcf Hdr
          > http://univ-paris13.academia.edu/VincentFERRE
          >
          > (à compter du 1er septembre)
          > PR Littératures comparées
          > Université Paris Est (Créteil), Centre “Lettres, Idées, Savoir”
          > ferre@...

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11 1:16 PM
            Somebody has been thinking the same thing. An English translation of the interview has already appeared on the Internet. Please note that I have not compared it to the original. As always, caveat lector. :)

            http://sedulia.blogs.com/sedulias_translations/2012/07/was-first-felt.html

            Best,
            Jason

            I think the interview (which also includes a couple of quotes from our colleague Vincent Ferre and one  from Tom Shippey)
            is well worth publishing in English translation, […]
          • Doug Kane
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11 1:36 PM
              Fascinating.  Thanks so much for providing that link, Jason.

              Well one thing is clear, assuming that is an accurate translation and that Christopher is not misquoted:  no longer can it be said that Christopher Tolkien has not publicly criticized Peter Jackson's films!

              Doug

              Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:16 PM

              Somebody has been thinking the same thing. An English translation of the interview has already appeared on the Internet. Please note that I have not compared it to the original. As always, caveat lector. :)

              Best,
              Jason

              I think the interview (which also includes a couple of quotes from our colleague Vincent Ferre and one  from Tom Shippey)
              is well worth publishing in English translation, […]

              No virus found in this message.