Spelling help from Tolkien linguists

  • drldonovan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7 4:42 PM
      I've been trying to sort out "the truth" from various sources to get a definitive answer of correct spelling for a book project I'm working on and I have now confused myself on this issue. So, who better to ask than Mythies, the following:

      I've pretty much concluded that it should be spelled "Númenor," not "Númenór." But, my main confusion comes in whether it should be spelled
      "Númenóreans" or "Númenoreans" (I know it should not be Númenórians).

      Any help would be much appreciated!

      Leslie Donovan
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7 4:46 PM
        Númenor and Númenórean(s) are the most correct forms. :)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7 4:52 PM
          Aargh... I just realized that the accent marks did not ACTUALLY come across correctly in the reply.

          So, Jason, just to confirm, your reply about what was correct said that...
          N + u with an accent + menor and
          N + u with an accent + men + o with an accent + rean(s)

          Is that right?

          Thank you!

          Leslie

          > Númenor and Númenórean(s) are the most correct forms. :)
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7 5:01 PM
            By George, I think you've got it! :)

            Aargh... I just realized that the accent marks did not ACTUALLY come across correctly in the reply.

            So, Jason, just to confirm, your reply about what was correct said that...
            N + u with an accent + menor and
            N + u with an accent + men + o with an accent + rean(s)

            Is that right?

            Thank you!

            Leslie

            > Númenor and Númenórean(s) are the most correct forms. :)
            >

            > >________________________________

          • Leslie A. Donovan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7 5:12 PM
              Thanks, Jason. I appreciate the confirmation of what SEEMED to me to be correct. But since I'm only a medium passable Tolkien linguist, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks SO much.

              Leslie

              --
              Leslie A. Donovan
              Associate Professor of the University Honors Program

            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7 5:24 PM
                Any time. I'm gratified to see people taking the accent marks as seriously as I do. Well, perhaps not quite that seriously. There aren't too many of us who are quite so picky. ;)

                Jason

                http://www.unm.edu/~ldonovan