Re: [mythsoc] portrait / itw of Christopher Tolkien - Le monde

  • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2012
      Vincent Ferré wrote:

      > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a
      > journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
      > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html

      In case you, like me, do not have a subscription to _Le Monde_, it
      is possible to buy a single issue electronically for about a dollar.
      This interview is apparently destined for _Le Monde Week-end_
      tomorrow (7 July), which is electronically available now.
      You can start by looking at the article for free here:
      <http://www.lemonde.fr/journalelectronique/donnees/libre/20120707/index.html?article_id=866548>
      When you try to do anything, like printing or zooming, a window
      will open that asks you to subscribe, or buy the single issue. As
      soon as you have bought it you can print it.
      The interview is on pages 4-6 in the "Culture & Idées" part of the
      magazine, with accompanying pieces about Tolkien on pages 1 and 6.
      The print function counts pages through the issue as a whole; to
      print the mentioned pages, ask for 117 and 120-122. (Possibly also
      page 1, since the feature is signalled in a head vignette on the
      first page of the issue.)

      On p.5 (=121) there is a photo of a map. It is said to be a map
      of Bilbo's world made by Christopher when he was 15 years old. But it
      seems to actually be one of the four sheets of the Second
      Silmarillion Map. I assume _Le Monde_'s photographer took pictures
      of a number of maps, and there was some confusion as to what was
      what.

      Chivalrous greetings,

      Beregond
    • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2012
        > Good evening to all,
        >
        > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a
        > journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
        > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-
        > de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
        >
        > best wishes,
        > Dr. Vincent Ferré
        > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature – Mcf Hdr

        It looks like an interesting article, but I do not trust my [very poor] French translation skills to properly read it. Any chance that more skilled French readers might summarize the article, let us know if anything earth-shaking or revelatory is discussed?

        Paul Westermeyer
        paul.westermeyer@...

        “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
        J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
      • GH Chinoy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2012
          My French is 7th grade, but Google Translate's much better (albeit not terribly fluent) - enough to get the gist of things. If you open the link in Chrome, it'll autotranslate from French.

          To be honest, reading through the Google translated French is a bit of an adventure, as a lot of the article talks about how Christopher and Baillie had to piece together Tolkien's various notes and manuscripts. I'm not sure how much here is new, other than some of the quotes of Christopher Tolkien and the views portrayed.

          "They gutted the book, making an action movie for 15-25 year olds , [regrets] Christopher. And it seems that The Hobbit will be of the same ilk. "

          On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Westermeyer GS11 Paul W <paul.westermeyer@...> wrote:

          > Good evening to all,

          > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a
          > journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
          > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-
          > de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
          >
          > best wishes,
          > Dr. Vincent Ferré
          > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature – Mcf Hdr

          It looks like an interesting article, but I do not trust my [very poor] French translation skills to properly read it. Any chance that more skilled French readers might summarize the article, let us know if anything earth-shaking or revelatory is discussed?

          Paul Westermeyer
          paul.westermeyer@...

          “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
          J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_

        • Romuald I
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
            Merci vient nous le faire savoir (Thanks for letting us know).

            I happened to be in Paris (my first time) attending a conference on Thomas More when I read Vincent Ferre's
            message on my iPhone (in a very crowded MacDonalds on the rue de Rivoli, the main shopping district). I
            immediately rushed out and managed to find a copy of Le Monde Weekend (7th), even though the Sunday edition
            (8th) was already on the newsstands. I've only now had a chance to read the article properly now that I am
            back home in Edmonton. My French is not good enough to translate the article, but my overall impression is
            that although much of it covers familiar ground, it has some  important points to make nonetheless. It records
            Christopher Tolkien's "desespoir intellectuel" at the reception  and commercial exploitation of the Lord of the Rings
            and the Hobbit, especially in the recent films, but the article also goes into some depth about Christopher Tolkien's
            labours to bring the world of the Silmarillion to light. (The map in the Le Monde is actually the second? Silmarillion map).

            I think the interview (which also includes a couple of quotes from our colleague Vincent Ferre and one  from Tom Shippey)
            is well worth publishing in English translation, if Le Monde and the Tolkien Estate agree and don't demand excessive
            permissions Fees -- perhaps in Tolkien Studies or Mythlore. It would probably be good in that case (if it doesn't cost
            extra) to include the original French on facing pages. Perhaps our colleague Professor Ferre (who incidentally has a
            book on Tolkien: Dictionaire -Tolkien coming out in September) could make enquiries with Le Monde to see if this is possible.
            Amicalement
            Romuald Lakowski

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ferre" <ferretolk@...> wrote:

            > Good evening to all,
            >
            > For those who read French, this major event: Christopher Tolkien met a journalist, Raphaëlle Rérolle, last mont. Here is the article :
            > http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/07/05/tolkien-l-anneau-de-la-discorde_1729858_3246.html
            >
            > best wishes,
            > Dr. Vincent Ferré
            > Université Paris 13, Département Littérature â€" Mcf Hdr
            > http://univ-paris13.academia.edu/VincentFERRE
            >
            > (à compter du 1er septembre)
            > PR Littératures comparées
            > Université Paris Est (Créteil), Centre “Lettres, Idées, Savoir”
            > ferre@...

          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2012
              Somebody has been thinking the same thing. An English translation of the interview has already appeared on the Internet. Please note that I have not compared it to the original. As always, caveat lector. :)

              http://sedulia.blogs.com/sedulias_translations/2012/07/was-first-felt.html

              Best,
              Jason

              I think the interview (which also includes a couple of quotes from our colleague Vincent Ferre and one  from Tom Shippey)
              is well worth publishing in English translation, […]
            • Doug Kane
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2012
                Fascinating.  Thanks so much for providing that link, Jason.

                Well one thing is clear, assuming that is an accurate translation and that Christopher is not misquoted:  no longer can it be said that Christopher Tolkien has not publicly criticized Peter Jackson's films!

                Doug

                Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:16 PM

                Somebody has been thinking the same thing. An English translation of the interview has already appeared on the Internet. Please note that I have not compared it to the original. As always, caveat lector. :)

                Best,
                Jason

                I think the interview (which also includes a couple of quotes from our colleague Vincent Ferre and one  from Tom Shippey)
                is well worth publishing in English translation, […]

                No virus found in this message.