History of the Mythopoeic Press

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2012

      I’m trying to work up a bit about the history of our press for the next edition of the Mythlore (Plus) Index, which will include the three essay collections we’ve published, among other goodies.  When was the press established? I remember running across some sort of announcement in Mythlore, but I need an approximate date to narrow it down!

      Thanks!

      Janet

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 106NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2012
        I don't recall whether you got an answer to this question last week, but the
        Mytho Press was a long time aborning. Joe Christopher originally made a
        proposal for it in the mid 1970s. The idea was approved by the Council
        sometime in the early 1990s, but it remained a paper entity (if you'll
        excuse the expression) for a while; when the Tolkien Centenary Conference
        Proceedings was published in 1995, it had the Press imprint on it, but that
        was simply because we had such an entity. It really got going a couple
        years later, and published its first book in 1998, though even that was a
        hesitant attempt. But by the next year, when I was working on editing the
        Masques, there was a full and active publishing board for me to deal with:
        Joan Verba, Ted Sherman, Joe Christopher (I think), and a couple other
        people.

        David Bratman

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2012

          Thanks – this is very useful. Since we’ve gotten so much more than I need for my bit in the Mythlore Plus Index, we’re also going to update the history pages on the website.

          Janet Brennan Croft