Re: [mythsoc] Hello my name is Mich. I am looking for a serten doc on J R R Tolkien.

  • Linda DeMars
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2012
      Mich-

      it sounds like you might have seen the ones I was thinking of- it's been years if I ever saw them and my son does not live at home any more - and he took his movies, tapes and dvds with him- so I can't do any reference. Anyway, here are the ones I was thinking of- they are on Amazon and fairly inexpensive.  The first is called: J.R.R. Tolkien: the Origin of the Ring. It is published by Trinity Home Entertainment and directed by Sean Buckley.

      The there is the two Geographic ones: Beyond the movie- The Fellowship of the Ring and Beyond the Movie - The Return of the King.

      The fourth is :  J.R.R. Tolkien - Master of the Ring. That is connected with Robert Di Napoli.

      I hope this helps you.

      Linda C. DeMars

      Hi yes that is along the lines of the doc that I am thinking of yes but as I said I am not sure of the name of the dock and weather it is out on DVD or vhs since I would very much like to get my hands on it. I remember seeing it on TV around 2001 and again in the summer of 2002 since I wrote a paper on Tolkien for a coarse that I was doing that summer but I don't think I included the name of the doc in that paper and I don't have any copies of it laying around. the docks I have on Tolkien's life are the one dun by national geographic that came with the extended edition of the lord of the rings and that is not the one that I saw. the others are J RR Tolkien Master of the Rings and a few others but again nun of these are the ones that I saw on TV. if you know about the ones that talk about Tolkien's life and what the names of them were that might help. as I said this was more of a biography kind of a doc and it didn't mention the movies very much at all. well again many thanks for your help. and I hope this does help. from Mich Verrier from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2012

        Might it have been Dan Timmons’s The Legacy of The Lord of the Rings? I can’t find it on Amazon, but he interviewed some of us at Mythcon in August 2001, and the finished product did include discussion of WWI and something on the movies. I reviewed it for Beyond Bree in September 2002 but I haven’t found my original text file. I believe it may have aired only in Canada.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries