Re: Tolkien & the Matter of Britain

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2012
      > Posted by: "John Rateliff" sacnoth@... sacnoth32
      > Date: Mon May 14, 2012 7:35 pm ((PDT))
      > I think this last passage is particularly impressive. Unfortunately,
      > the whole poem's less than a thousand lines (Wayne & Christina's
      > COMPANION & GUIDE gives its total as 954 lines).
      >
      > As for more about the work, in the piece I gave at Kalamazoo the year
      > before last I devoted several paragraphs (about 750 words) to a
      > discussion of what we can tell about the poem from just the available
      > bits. It's obvious, for example, that the 14th century ALLITERATIVE
      > MORTE ARTHURE is among Tolkien's major sources for the poem.

      Thank you for the explanation (and sorry for the belated response!). It sounds like there is a great deal of such miscellanea available still to be published, I really hope it is, I really enjoyed the Sigurd book and would love to see more of his translations and other works published in such editions.

      Returning to the Matter of Britain, I wonder what folk on the list think of Mary Stewart's Merlin series. I've just finished rereading the series, which I've always really, really enjoyed - it reminds me in many ways of Tolkien and seems like the sort of work he might have liked (especially since he expressed admiration for Mary Renault's work).

      Paul Westermeyer
      paul.westermeyer@...

      “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
      J. R. R. Tolkien, _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_
    • Gerry Blair
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2012
        Paul
        I agree entirely about Mary Stewart I read these way back in the late 1960's, after having them recommended to me by my mom. This was before I had read Tolkien, the descriptions of Merlin's experiences in the Crystal Cave are something I remember as really impressing me. I believe when I read Tolkien it was because I hoped this would be something else that could have the same kind of enchanting power as the Merlin series, and it did. Over the past few years I keep thinking how I should reread these books and now you have given me another reason to do so.Thanks for the reminder.
        Gerry

        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2012
          > Posted by: "Gerry Blair" gerryblair68@... gerryblair68
          > Date: Thu May 24, 2012 4:00 am ((PDT))
          >
          > Paul I agree entirely about Mary Stewart I read these way back in the
          > late 1960's, after having them recommended to me by my mom. This was
          > before I had read Tolkien, the descriptions of Merlin's experiences in
          > the Crystal Cave are something I remember as really impressing me.
          > I believe when I read Tolkien it was because I hoped this would be
          > something else that could have the same kind of enchanting power as the
          > Merlin series, and it did. Over the past few years I keep thinking how
          > I should reread these books and now you have given me another reason to
          > do so.Thanks for the reminder.Gerry

          It really is an excellent series, though I can see how it could be problematic for Tolkien. The latter legends are heavily influenced by the French, and when you try to sweep back to origins, then the Anglo-saxons become the 'horde from the east.' Stewart very much presents the British, and especially the Romano-British as those 'sunk into the soil' of Britain.