Re: [mythsoc] other great cons?

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2012
      Kalamazoo.

      Alas!  Jo & will be watching daughter Megan get her medieval art history PhS. this weekend.  Megan & I went to my first in 2009.

      Jo & Martha & I attended in 2010 (THE LORDS OF THE RINGO) & 2011 (WHERE DID OUR RING GO?).

      Mike

      Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 11:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] other great cons?

      href="mailto:sraddha%40harkeystudio.com">mailto:sraddha%40harkeystudio.com>

      was wondering if any of you have favorite fantasy and/or literature
      >>conventions you attend/would recommend. (Any of which would run a
      >>distant, distant second to Mythcon, of
      course...)

      >>In particular, I'm interested in events that
      tend toward the academic,
      >>rather than a Comic-Con sort of
      thing.

      >>Gracias,
      >>Faith

      In addition to what Wendell and David B. mentioned, there is also the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts (ICFA) held in Florida: http://iafa.highpoint.edu/annual-conference/

      David Emerson

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2012
        On 05/07/2012 10:44 AM, Faith Harkey wrote:
        > Howdy, all.
        >
        > I was wondering if any of you have favorite fantasy and/or literature
        > conventions you attend/would recommend. (Any of which would run a
        > distant, distant second to Mythcon, of course...)
        >
        > In particular, I'm interested in events that tend toward the academic,
        > rather than a Comic-Con sort of thing.

        There, um, is a big gulf between these two.

        There are more or less scholarly cons like Mythcon -- and also in the
        more or less academic lines, ICFA, (I've done the latter two, but not
        ICFA). These tend to have people giving papers on various topics of
        interest. There are also, of course, organized evening activities.

        There are "serious conventions"--Readercon, and World Fantasy Convention
        and Capclave (though I think they're trying to get less serious) are the
        ones I've done. These have a very heavy lit focus, and a combination of
        papers and panels.

        Then there are literary sf/fantasy cons -- which still tend towards a
        literature/discussion focus, but also have more parties, events, music,
        etc -- regional cons like Arisia, World Science Fiction Convention,
        Lunacon, Boskone, Balticon, etc (I've got an East Coast focus, but these
        are all over). These tend to have people leading panels which discuss
        (along with the audience) topics of interest; panel leaders tend to be a
        combination of fans and pros, and there are enough panels for everyone
        to attend something they like without lines.

        Finally, there are the big media shows like Comic-Con -- where the focus
        is on the expo hall, panels are few and far between (and populated
        almost exclusively by pros), and one generally needs to wait on a long
        line before attending one. Instead, the primary attendee activities
        seem to be wearing costumes, looking at other people's costumes, and
        shopping.

        The first three really have more in common with one another than -any-
        of them have with the big media cons.
      • Faith Harkey
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2012
          Thanks, everyone, for your speedy and helpful replies! I welcome other
          links and ideas, but this is a great start.

          Happy Spring!

          Warm regards,
          Faith