Re: [mythsoc] other great cons?

    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2012
      There are, as Wendell noted, many science fiction conventions that are oriented towards the literature as opposed to movies and games and (non-"literary") comics. Their flagship is the World Science Fiction Convention or "Worldcon", which moves around and this year will be held Labor Day weekend in Chicago (see chicon.org). Others of this kind to recommend would depend on your location.

      However, while they're much more like Mythcon than they are like ComicCon in that they're interested in books, they are oriented more towards science fiction than fantasy (although fantasy is covered), their taste in books is not always discriminating by our standards, and they're not very academic: the program is mostly discussion panels rather than papers, and it's often mostly authors talking about their own work, frequently oriented towards aspiring writers. Not all the programming is like that by any means, but it's more in that direction than Mythcon is. Also, Worldcon is usually 3-4 thousand people, and others while smaller are often much larger than Mythcon.

      There are a few smaller conventions that, like Mythcon, focus intensely on the really good literature, and talk about it as much from the reader's as the writer's viewpoint. Most of these are also science fiction rather than fantasy conventions. One is Readercon in Massachusetts. Another is FOGcon in San Francisco. The one I know that's specifically fantasy-oriented is Fourth Street Fantasy Convention in Minneapolis. It has a different flavor than Mythcon - it was founded by the Scribblies writers group (Emma Bull, Steven Brust, Pamela Dean, et al) and focuses on their interests - but it's there.

      If you really want Mythcon-like papers, and a focus on the Inklings, you have to go in a completely different direction, totally apart from the SF convention circuit which all of the above, even Fourth Street, are, and go to things like the Ewbank Colloquium on CSL and Friends (lewisconference.zondervanlibrary.org), the Tolkien Conference at the University of Vermont (this year's was last month), or the biggie, the Tolkien (or other) sessions at the International Congress on Medieval Studies, held at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, which this year is this weekend (www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/). This conference is so basic in its field that I had trouble tracking down its actual name; people talking about it usually just call it "Kalamazoo" and presume you know what they're referring to.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2012

        In addition to what Wendell and David B. mentioned, there is also the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts (ICFA) held in Florida: http://iafa.highpoint.edu/annual-conference/

        David Emerson

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2012
          Kalamazoo.

          Alas!  Jo & will be watching daughter Megan get her medieval art history PhS. this weekend.  Megan & I went to my first in 2009.

          Jo & Martha & I attended in 2010 (THE LORDS OF THE RINGO) & 2011 (WHERE DID OUR RING GO?).

          Mike

          Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 11:14 AM
          Subject: Re: [mythsoc] other great cons?

          href="mailto:sraddha%40harkeystudio.com">mailto:sraddha%40harkeystudio.com>

          was wondering if any of you have favorite fantasy and/or literature
          >>conventions you attend/would recommend. (Any of which would run a
          >>distant, distant second to Mythcon, of
          course...)

          >>In particular, I'm interested in events that
          tend toward the academic,
          >>rather than a Comic-Con sort of
          thing.

          >>Gracias,
          >>Faith

          In addition to what Wendell and David B. mentioned, there is also the International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts (ICFA) held in Florida: http://iafa.highpoint.edu/annual-conference/

          David Emerson

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Joshua Kronengold
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2012
            On 05/07/2012 10:44 AM, Faith Harkey wrote:
            > Howdy, all.
            >
            > I was wondering if any of you have favorite fantasy and/or literature
            > conventions you attend/would recommend. (Any of which would run a
            > distant, distant second to Mythcon, of course...)
            >
            > In particular, I'm interested in events that tend toward the academic,
            > rather than a Comic-Con sort of thing.

            There, um, is a big gulf between these two.

            There are more or less scholarly cons like Mythcon -- and also in the
            more or less academic lines, ICFA, (I've done the latter two, but not
            ICFA). These tend to have people giving papers on various topics of
            interest. There are also, of course, organized evening activities.

            There are "serious conventions"--Readercon, and World Fantasy Convention
            and Capclave (though I think they're trying to get less serious) are the
            ones I've done. These have a very heavy lit focus, and a combination of
            papers and panels.

            Then there are literary sf/fantasy cons -- which still tend towards a
            literature/discussion focus, but also have more parties, events, music,
            etc -- regional cons like Arisia, World Science Fiction Convention,
            Lunacon, Boskone, Balticon, etc (I've got an East Coast focus, but these
            are all over). These tend to have people leading panels which discuss
            (along with the audience) topics of interest; panel leaders tend to be a
            combination of fans and pros, and there are enough panels for everyone
            to attend something they like without lines.

            Finally, there are the big media shows like Comic-Con -- where the focus
            is on the expo hall, panels are few and far between (and populated
            almost exclusively by pros), and one generally needs to wait on a long
            line before attending one. Instead, the primary attendee activities
            seem to be wearing costumes, looking at other people's costumes, and
            shopping.

            The first three really have more in common with one another than -any-
            of them have with the big media cons.
          • Faith Harkey
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2012
              Thanks, everyone, for your speedy and helpful replies! I welcome other
              links and ideas, but this is a great start.

              Happy Spring!

              Warm regards,
              Faith