Re: [mythsoc] A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 16 , May 6, 2012
      No problem.  BTW, I was just at the board again, and the OP in the thread claims that any author who stops the flow of the plot in order to engage in exposition has failed as an author.  I find that comment very very telling.

      Now that I think about it, could someone who hasn't really used The Companion and Guide, and who hasn't read much if any other Tolkien scholarship, use either volume independently with any degree of success?  I'm beginning to think we need to make a quick reading list for the OP.
      --
      Larry Swain

      Ah, I missed your reference to the Chronology.  My apologies.
      Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:12 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

      So you did.  And I suggested the Chronology.  Feel free to disagree.  You are aware of course that it's a 2-volume work and suggesting one volume isn't the same as the other.
      --
      Larry Swain

      Pssst, Larry, I already suggested the LotR section of the Reader's Guide portion of the Companion and Guide.

      Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 7:25 PM

      How about Wayne and Christina's Companion and Guide?  While not specifically on Tolkien's writing style or history of creation of LoTR, the Chronology in my view gives one all that needs be known.

      Larry Swain

      On Sat, May 5, 2012, at 07:10 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

      On May 5, 2012, at 6:20 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:
      . . .  I could, of course, simply tell him to read the entire twelve-volumes of The History of Middle-earth, but he'd just be annoyed by that.  Is there a single book that gives the history of how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings?  I'm not sure to what extent this could be separated from the history of how he wrote The Silmarillion and The Hobbit.
      I don't know of any one book that does this.
         If there is one,  I look forward to finding out about it.
             If there isn't, perhaps somebody shd write one.

      --JDR (who can point you towards that sort of thing re. THE HOBBIT but not LotR).

    • Cristina
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2012
        Some of the letters do give snippets of insights on JRRT's writing process.

        Message 3 of 16 , May 12, 2012
          Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about how to explain to someone with a theory of how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings by pointing them to the scholarship on the subject.  Thanks especially to Sarah Beach for registering for the message board in order to post some information about this subject.  As happens far too often when you explain to someone that they don't know enough about the subject that they are pontificating about, the person who started the thread just disappeared after enough people told him that he was wrong about much that he wrote about.