Re: [mythsoc] A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

    Message 1 of 16 , May 6, 2012
      That's a frustrating post to read, because the author is obviously
      intelligent and has what could be some potentially insightful things to say
      about narrative viewpoint in LOTR, but it's all buried beneath this
      fantastic stuff about Tolkien's presumed intentions which has no authority
      at all, and merely suggests what would be in this person's mind if she(?)
      had been the one writing the story. It's particularly brazen to criticize
      Tolkien for abandoning intentions that you have no idea that he ever had in
      the first place. It's intriguing to suggest that the other hobbits were
      included for the deliberate, aforethought purpose of having backups around
      to cover the parts of the story Frodo couldn't narrate, but it doesn't fit
      in with anything we know from the drafts or Tolkien's work habits about how
      he constructed his story, and if Fatty was originally intended to cover the
      home front, then what about Odo? (A question which would probably be a
      complete non-sequitur to this person.) A point worth thought: if there's
      one interpretation of a work that shows it hanging together and making
      sense, and another interpretation which makes the author out to be an
      incompetent blunderer, which is more likely, or more useful for the reader?

      Apart from the documentary evidence in the History, the things this person
      most needs to read are not books, but a lot of articles, some of them rather
      hard to find. The papers by Paul Edmund Thomas and Christina Scull in the
      Blackwelder proceedings, though not addressing these specific points, would
      give a very clear idea of what kind of book Tolkien thought he was writing
      and how he went about doing it. But they're not likely to be easy to hand.

      On the question of whether Aragorn is a real, sympathetic and human
      character or merely a cardboard archetype designed to be espied from a
      distance, however, one should turn immediately to the Aragorn chapter in
      Paul Kocher's Master of Middle-earth, a book that's been around and easily
      available for forty years.
    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6, 2012
        So you did.  And I suggested the Chronology.  Feel free to disagree.  You are aware of course that it's a 2-volume work and suggesting one volume isn't the same as the other.
        --
        Larry Swain

        Pssst, Larry, I already suggested the LotR section of the Reader's Guide portion of the Companion and Guide.

        Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 7:25 PM
        Subject: Re: [mythsoc] A book on how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings

        How about Wayne and Christina's Companion and Guide?  While not specifically on Tolkien's writing style or history of creation of LoTR, the Chronology in my view gives one all that needs be known.

        Larry Swain

        On Sat, May 5, 2012, at 07:10 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

        On May 5, 2012, at 6:20 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:
        . . .  I could, of course, simply tell him to read the entire twelve-volumes of The History of Middle-earth, but he'd just be annoyed by that.  Is there a single book that gives the history of how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings?  I'm not sure to what extent this could be separated from the history of how he wrote The Silmarillion and The Hobbit.
        I don't know of any one book that does this.
           If there is one,  I look forward to finding out about it.
               If there isn't, perhaps somebody shd write one.

        --JDR (who can point you towards that sort of thing re. THE HOBBIT but not LotR).

      • Doug Kane

          Message 4 of 16 , May 6, 2012
            Sounds like an interesting exchange! Where can it be found? (I tried to find a reference, without any success.)

            Thanks,

            Morgan

            On May 6, 2012 04:14 "John Rateliff" <sacnoth@...> wrote:

            Anyone else here remember the amusing little exchange between JRRT and
            Ch. Moorman? Moorman had a theory that Malory never had the chance to
            revise his work and asked Tolkien if the same was true of him, only to
            be told otherwise in no uncertain terms.

            --JDR

          • Larry Swain
            Message 5 of 16 , May 6, 2012
              No problem.  BTW, I was just at the board again, and the OP in the thread claims that any author who stops the flow of the plot in order to engage in exposition has failed as an author.  I find that comment very very telling.

              Now that I think about it, could someone who hasn't really used The Companion and Guide, and who hasn't read much if any other Tolkien scholarship, use either volume independently with any degree of success?  I'm beginning to think we need to make a quick reading list for the OP.
              --
              Larry Swain

              Message 6 of 16 , May 7, 2012
                Some of the letters do give snippets of insights on JRRT's writing process.

                Message 7 of 16 , May 12, 2012
                  Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about how to explain to someone with a theory of how Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings by pointing them to the scholarship on the subject.  Thanks especially to Sarah Beach for registering for the message board in order to post some information about this subject.  As happens far too often when you explain to someone that they don't know enough about the subject that they are pontificating about, the person who started the thread just disappeared after enough people told him that he was wrong about much that he wrote about.