Re: [mythsoc] Fan Fiction

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2000
      Yes, I know the picture books (and the calendars and paper dolls which used the
      same art)--I wasn't very impressed with the art, and I never paid much attention
      to the texts. Not really approving of the idea (if they're too young for the
      regular text, they really don't need to hear the books for a couple of years, I
      think--no need to "dumb the Chronicles down" for younger children), I didn't buy
      any of them. I did see some art on the web-page yesterday, though, which makes
      me think that they've found a much superior artist, so these books may be worth
      a second look. I'm not really sure that you couldn't read the regular
      Chronicles to a younger child anyhow--Claire had a remarkable patience with
      texts she barely understood from a very young age if I read them to her.
      Certainly by age 5 I think I could have read LWW to her. Maybe I did (I can't
      remember when I first read this to her).

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 09/07/2000 9:12:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
      >
      > > new stories set in Narnia,
      >
      > When we hear that these are for "four-year-olds," I wonder if they are simple
      > re-tellings? There was already a picture series which broke up LWW into
      > several shorter stories, more simply told, but I don't know how far it
      > progressed - I'd say its age group was a bit above four.
      >
      > Mary S

      David Lenander, Library Manager I

      University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services

      Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

      Phone: work: (612)626-3375 fax: (612)626-2454 home: (651)292-8887