Re: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

  • Michael Cunningham
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
      My review will hopefully be in the next Amon Hen - excellent insight into imaginary worlds.

      Michael Cunningham

      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2012
        Janet, Did you find a reviewer for this?

        If not, and if the review can wait until the spring 2013 issue, I'd be willing to take it on.
        I have absolutely no time to start reading until after the Return of the Ring, so there might be a chance to save the posting, if someone can take it to Loughborough in August.

        /Troels

        On 20 April 2012 00:02, Croft, Janet B. <jbcroft@...> wrote:

        I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
        Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
        Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
        exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
        Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
        documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
        (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
        contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
        dog-eared damn near every page. As at
        http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

        All best,

        Zachary

        On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
        > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
        >
        > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

            Love while you've got
                love to give.
            Live while you've got
                life to live.
         - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2012

          Yes, that’s out to David Oberhelman. But I may have something else you want that I could bring to Loughborough. Would you be interested in Reiner Nagel’s Hobbit Place-names: A Linguistic Excursion through the Shire (Walking Tree, 2012)?

          Janet Brennan Croft

          Associate Professor
          Head of Access Services
          University of Oklahoma Libraries
          Bizzell 106NW
          Norman OK 73019
          405-325-1918
          Fax 405-325-7618
          jbcroft@...
          http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

          http://libraries.ou.edu/
          Editor of Mythlore
          http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

          Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
          Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
          Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
          exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
          Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
          documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
          (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
          contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
          dog-eared damn near every page. As at
          http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

          All best,

          Zachary

          On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
          > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
          >
          > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

              Love while you've got
                  love to give.
              Live while you've got
                  life to live.
           - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/

        • Troels Forchhammer

            Message 5 of 11 , May 10, 2012
              How much can you carry, Janet?  I would happily review something with a literary/comparative study angle, if there is anything around at Loughborough time.

              from Sue