Doug Gresham and the Lewis estate

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2000

      Probably Mary and Margaret and others already understand this, but I think it's
      worth pointing out that Doug Gresham is employed by Lewis, PTE, but no longer owns
      any of his late stepfather's copyrights. He and his brother sold these many years
      ago, and they are owned by a company called C.S. Lewis PTE (the latter is
      apparently some form of company designation, like "Inc." or "Ltd," indicating that
      it's privately held or something). So Doug Gresham may himself abhor the idea, he
      really has no say except perhaps as some sort of moral urging to his employer. He
      does defend the Lewis copyright with great energy, and I ran into him over Lewis
      "filksongs" at Mythcon 29. Although he initially called me some names in a Mere
      Lewis posting, in subsequent, private postings he seemed almost sorrowful that he
      had to tell me I shouldn't be announcing such a thing, and that he had to report
      me to his masters, but that this was his duty as their employer. He didn't quite
      imply that if we had only done this quietly no one would've ever known. Anyway,
      in the end, after some correspondence, the Lewis lawyer (solicitor?) told me that
      we had permission to sing Lewis filksongs at that and future Mythcons, so long as
      we didn't publish them or charge separate admission. The company also sponsored
      or allowed the publishers of the Chronicles to sponsor story-writing competitions
      for school children in the U.K. last year or the year before. So they haven't
      been totally unreasonable about this.

      --

      David Lenander,