Re: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

  • Kelly Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
      That is awesome (and eldritch).

      From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:21 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

      This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
      even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:

      http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

    • Zachary Bos
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
      • Michael Cunningham
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
          My review will hopefully be in the next Amon Hen - excellent insight into imaginary worlds.

          Michael Cunningham

          Message 4 of 11 , May 7, 2012
            Janet, Did you find a reviewer for this?

            If not, and if the review can wait until the spring 2013 issue, I'd be willing to take it on.
            I have absolutely no time to start reading until after the Return of the Ring, so there might be a chance to save the posting, if someone can take it to Loughborough in August.

            /Troels

            On 20 April 2012 00:02, Croft, Janet B. <jbcroft@...> wrote:

            I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

            Janet Brennan Croft

            Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
            Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
            Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
            exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
            Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
            documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
            (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
            contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
            dog-eared damn near every page. As at
            http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

            All best,

            Zachary

            On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
            > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
            > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
            >
            > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

                Love while you've got
                    love to give.
                Live while you've got
                    life to live.
             - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/
          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2012

              Yes, that’s out to David Oberhelman. But I may have something else you want that I could bring to Loughborough. Would you be interested in Reiner Nagel’s Hobbit Place-names: A Linguistic Excursion through the Shire (Walking Tree, 2012)?

              Janet Brennan Croft

              Associate Professor
              Head of Access Services
              University of Oklahoma Libraries
              Bizzell 106NW
              Norman OK 73019
              405-325-1918
              Fax 405-325-7618
              jbcroft@...
              http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

              http://libraries.ou.edu/
              Editor of Mythlore
              http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

              Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
              Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
              Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
              exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
              Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
              documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
              (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
              contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
              dog-eared damn near every page. As at
              http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

              All best,

              Zachary

              On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
              > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
              > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
              >
              > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

                  Love while you've got
                      love to give.
                  Live while you've got
                      life to live.
               - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/

            • Troels Forchhammer

                Message 7 of 11 , May 10, 2012
                  How much can you carry, Janet?  I would happily review something with a literary/comparative study angle, if there is anything around at Loughborough time.

                  from Sue