Re: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

  • Kelly Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
      That is awesome (and eldritch).

      From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:21 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

      This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
      even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:

      http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

    • Travis Buchanan
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
        Here is a review in the WSJ from 21 Jan. of Saler's work by Tom Shippey:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204409004577156860068204638.html

        Thanks for bringing it to our attention Zachary.

        Travis

        Not all those who wander are lost.
                                - J. R. R. Tolkien

        On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Zachary Bos <zakbos@...> wrote:

        Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
        Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
        Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
        exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
        Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
        documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
        (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
        contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
        dog-eared damn near every page. As at
        http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

        All best,

        Zachary

        On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
        > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
        >
        > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

      • Zachary Bos
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
        • Michael Cunningham
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
            My review will hopefully be in the next Amon Hen - excellent insight into imaginary worlds.

            Michael Cunningham

            I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

            Janet Brennan Croft

            Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
            Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
            Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
            exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
            Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
            documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
            (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
            contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
            dog-eared damn near every page. As at
            http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

            All best,

            Zachary

            On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
            > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
            > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
            >
            > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

          • Troels Forchhammer
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2012
              Janet, Did you find a reviewer for this?

              If not, and if the review can wait until the spring 2013 issue, I'd be willing to take it on.
              I have absolutely no time to start reading until after the Return of the Ring, so there might be a chance to save the posting, if someone can take it to Loughborough in August.

              /Troels

              On 20 April 2012 00:02, Croft, Janet B. <jbcroft@...> wrote:

              I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

              Janet Brennan Croft

              Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
              Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
              Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
              exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
              Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
              documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
              (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
              contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
              dog-eared damn near every page. As at
              http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

              All best,

              Zachary

              On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
              > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
              > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
              >
              > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

                  Love while you've got
                      love to give.
                  Live while you've got
                      life to live.
               - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2012

                Yes, that’s out to David Oberhelman. But I may have something else you want that I could bring to Loughborough. Would you be interested in Reiner Nagel’s Hobbit Place-names: A Linguistic Excursion through the Shire (Walking Tree, 2012)?

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Associate Professor
                Head of Access Services
                University of Oklahoma Libraries
                Bizzell 106NW
                Norman OK 73019
                405-325-1918
                Fax 405-325-7618
                jbcroft@...
                http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

                http://libraries.ou.edu/
                Editor of Mythlore
                http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 10, 2012
                    How much can you carry, Janet?  I would happily review something with a literary/comparative study angle, if there is anything around at Loughborough time.

                    from Sue