RE: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012

      I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
        That is awesome (and eldritch).

        This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
        even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:

        http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

      • Travis Buchanan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
          Here is a review in the WSJ from 21 Jan. of Saler's work by Tom Shippey:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204409004577156860068204638.html

          Thanks for bringing it to our attention Zachary.

          Travis

          Not all those who wander are lost.
                                  - J. R. R. Tolkien

          On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Zachary Bos <zakbos@...> wrote:

          Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
          Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
          Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
          exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
          Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
          documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
          (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
          contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
          dog-eared damn near every page. As at
          http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

          All best,

          Zachary

          On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
          > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
          >
          > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

        • Zachary Bos
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
          • Michael Cunningham
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
              My review will hopefully be in the next Amon Hen - excellent insight into imaginary worlds.

              Michael Cunningham

              I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

              Janet Brennan Croft

              Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
              Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
              Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
              exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
              Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
              documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
              (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
              contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
              dog-eared damn near every page. As at
              http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

              All best,

              Zachary

              On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
              > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
              > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
              >
              > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

            • Troels Forchhammer
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2012
                Janet, Did you find a reviewer for this?

                If not, and if the review can wait until the spring 2013 issue, I'd be willing to take it on.
                I have absolutely no time to start reading until after the Return of the Ring, so there might be a chance to save the posting, if someone can take it to Loughborough in August.

                /Troels

                On 20 April 2012 00:02, Croft, Janet B. <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
                Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
                Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
                exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
                Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
                documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
                (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
                contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
                dog-eared damn near every page. As at
                http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

                All best,

                Zachary

                On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
                > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
                >
                > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

                    Love while you've got
                        love to give.
                    Live while you've got
                        life to live.
                 - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/
              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2012

                  Yes, that’s out to David Oberhelman. But I may have something else you want that I could bring to Loughborough. Would you be interested in Reiner Nagel’s Hobbit Place-names: A Linguistic Excursion through the Shire (Walking Tree, 2012)?

                  Janet Brennan Croft

                  Associate Professor
                  Head of Access Services
                  University of Oklahoma Libraries
                  Bizzell 106NW
                  Norman OK 73019
                  405-325-1918
                  Fax 405-325-7618
                  jbcroft@...
                  http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

                  http://libraries.ou.edu/
                  Editor of Mythlore
                  http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 10, 2012
                      How much can you carry, Janet?  I would happily review something with a literary/comparative study angle, if there is anything around at Loughborough time.

                      from Sue