Re: [mythsoc] advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

  • Zachary Bos
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
      Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
      Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
      Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
      exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
      Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
      documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
      (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
      contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
      dog-eared damn near every page. As at
      http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

      All best,

      Zachary

      On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
      > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
      >
      > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012

        I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
        Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
        Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
        exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
        Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
        documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
        (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
        contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
        dog-eared damn near every page. As at
        http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

        All best,

        Zachary

        On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
        > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
        >
        > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

      • Kelly Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
          That is awesome (and eldritch).

          This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
          even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:

          http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

        • Travis Buchanan
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
            Here is a review in the WSJ from 21 Jan. of Saler's work by Tom Shippey:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204409004577156860068204638.html

            Thanks for bringing it to our attention Zachary.

            Travis

            Not all those who wander are lost.
                                    - J. R. R. Tolkien

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
            • Michael Cunningham
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
                My review will hopefully be in the next Amon Hen - excellent insight into imaginary worlds.

                Michael Cunningham

                I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
                Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
                Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
                exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
                Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
                documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
                (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
                contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
                dog-eared damn near every page. As at
                http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

                All best,

                Zachary

                On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
                > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
                >
                > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

              • Troels Forchhammer
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7 2:01 PM
                  Janet, Did you find a reviewer for this?

                  If not, and if the review can wait until the spring 2013 issue, I'd be willing to take it on.
                  I have absolutely no time to start reading until after the Return of the Ring, so there might be a chance to save the posting, if someone can take it to Loughborough in August.

                  /Troels

                  On 20 April 2012 00:02, Croft, Janet B. <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                  I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

                  Janet Brennan Croft

                  Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
                  Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
                  Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
                  exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
                  Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
                  documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
                  (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
                  contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
                  dog-eared damn near every page. As at
                  http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

                  All best,

                  Zachary

                  On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                  > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
                  > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
                  >
                  > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

                      Love while you've got
                          love to give.
                      Live while you've got
                          life to live.
                   - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8 11:43 AM

                    Yes, that’s out to David Oberhelman. But I may have something else you want that I could bring to Loughborough. Would you be interested in Reiner Nagel’s Hobbit Place-names: A Linguistic Excursion through the Shire (Walking Tree, 2012)?

                    Janet Brennan Croft

                    Associate Professor
                    Head of Access Services
                    University of Oklahoma Libraries
                    Bizzell 106NW
                    Norman OK 73019
                    405-325-1918
                    Fax 405-325-7618
                    jbcroft@...
                    http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

                    http://libraries.ou.edu/
                    Editor of Mythlore
                    http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 10 3:09 AM
                        How much can you carry, Janet?  I would happily review something with a literary/comparative study angle, if there is anything around at Loughborough time.

                        from Sue