advice column from H.P. Lovecraft

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
      This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
      even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:

      http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/
    • Zachary Bos
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
        Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
        Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
        Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
        exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
        Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
        documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
        (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
        contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
        dog-eared damn near every page. As at
        http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

        All best,

        Zachary

        On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
        > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
        >
        > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012

          I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
          Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
          Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
          exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
          Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
          documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
          (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
          contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
          dog-eared damn near every page. As at
          http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

          All best,

          Zachary

          On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
          > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
          >
          > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

        • Kelly Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 19, 2012
            That is awesome (and eldritch).

            This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
            even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:

            http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

          • Travis Buchanan
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
              Here is a review in the WSJ from 21 Jan. of Saler's work by Tom Shippey:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204409004577156860068204638.html

              Thanks for bringing it to our attention Zachary.

              Travis

              Not all those who wander are lost.
                                      - J. R. R. Tolkien

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
              • Michael Cunningham
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
                  My review will hopefully be in the next Amon Hen - excellent insight into imaginary worlds.

                  Michael Cunningham

                  I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

                  Janet Brennan Croft

                  Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
                  Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
                  Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
                  exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
                  Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
                  documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
                  (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
                  contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
                  dog-eared damn near every page. As at
                  http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

                  All best,

                  Zachary

                  On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                  > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
                  > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
                  >
                  > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

                • Troels Forchhammer
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7 2:01 PM
                    Janet, Did you find a reviewer for this?

                    If not, and if the review can wait until the spring 2013 issue, I'd be willing to take it on.
                    I have absolutely no time to start reading until after the Return of the Ring, so there might be a chance to save the posting, if someone can take it to Loughborough in August.

                    /Troels

                    On 20 April 2012 00:02, Croft, Janet B. <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                    I have a copy of this waiting for an eager reviewer to snap it up for Mythlore.

                    Janet Brennan Croft

                    Speaking of Lovecraft: his Cthulhu Mythos, along with the Secondary
                    Worlds of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and the Middle-earth of
                    Tolkien, are the objects of study in an excellent new work from OUP
                    exploring the 'literary prehistory of virtual reality" -- "As If" by
                    Michael Saler. The author mixes a pleasingly hearty portion of
                    documentary history and textual exemplars into his ongoing theoretical
                    (perhaps sociological) inquiry into the developmental pathways of
                    contemporary imaginary worlds from their literary precursors. I've
                    dog-eared damn near every page. As at
                    http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/BritishLiterature/19thC/?view=usa&ci=9780195343175.

                    All best,

                    Zachary

                    On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                    > This is more from the popular image of Lovecraft than the man himself, or
                    > even his fiction, but it's pretty funny:
                    >
                    > http://bygonebureau.com/2012/04/04/h-p-lovecraft-answers-your-relationship-questions/

                        Love while you've got
                            love to give.
                        Live while you've got
                            life to live.
                     - Piet Hein, /Memento Vivere/
                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8 11:43 AM

                      Yes, that’s out to David Oberhelman. But I may have something else you want that I could bring to Loughborough. Would you be interested in Reiner Nagel’s Hobbit Place-names: A Linguistic Excursion through the Shire (Walking Tree, 2012)?

                      Janet Brennan Croft

                      Associate Professor
                      Head of Access Services
                      University of Oklahoma Libraries
                      Bizzell 106NW
                      Norman OK 73019
                      405-325-1918
                      Fax 405-325-7618
                      jbcroft@...
                      http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

                      http://libraries.ou.edu/
                      Editor of Mythlore
                      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 10 3:09 AM
                          How much can you carry, Janet?  I would happily review something with a literary/comparative study angle, if there is anything around at Loughborough time.

                          from Sue