Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Byzantine historical fiction]

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 7, 2000

      > Anybody enough of an historical fiction buff to give this person some
      > suggestions? I hate to see him limited to Turtledove...
      >
      > Edith

      Lawhead's _Byzantium_ might fit the bill.

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 7, 2000
        There was Susan Shwartz' SHARDS OF EMPIRE, but most of the people in
        Butterbur's Woodshed reading group did not like it, as you, Edith, will
        remember.

        And I seem to remember a couple good titles from Cecelia Holland.

        OH! And Judith Tarr! The HOUND AND THE FALCON series is partly set in
        Crusades-era Palestine, but that verges on Byzantium.

        Mary S
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 7, 2000
          In a message dated 09/07/2000 5:30:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          << OH! And Judith Tarr! The HOUND AND THE FALCON series is partly set in
          Crusades-era Palestine, but that verges on Byzantium.

          Mm, I think there's not as much Byzantium in there as one might like, but OH
          that was a wonderful trilogy. What are the dates for the Byzantine Empire
          again?

          Lizzie
        • Randall Eicher
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 7, 2000
            Lizzie asked >>
            > Mm, I think there's not as much Byzantium in there as one might like, but
            OH
            > that was a wonderful trilogy. What are the dates for the Byzantine
            Empire
            > again?

            The Byzantine Empire technically begins in 330 AD when the Emperor
            Constantine transferred the imperial capital to Constantinople. It ended in
            1453 with the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Empire.

            Randall
          • Sophie Masson
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 7, 2000
              Whatabout Guy Gavriel Kay's The Sarantine Mosaic? That is certainly based on
              Byzantium..
              Sophie
              Author site:
              http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

              >In a message dated 09/07/2000 5:30:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              >Stolzi@... writes:
              >
              ><< OH! And Judith Tarr! The HOUND AND THE FALCON series is partly set in
              > Crusades-era Palestine, but that verges on Byzantium.
              > >>
              >Mm, I think there's not as much Byzantium in there as one might like, but
              OH
              >that was a wonderful trilogy. What are the dates for the Byzantine Empire
              >again?
              >
              >Lizzie

            • Edith Crowe
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 7, 2000

                Kaledonia3@... wrote:

                > Hello, I hope you can help.
                > I'm looking for historical fiction or fantasy set in the Byzantine era (not
                > alternate future stuff). I know about Turtledove, but do you have any
                > suggestions?
                > Thanks, Cedric

              • James P. Robinson III
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 8, 2000
                  Well, they considered themselves the Eastern Roman Empire until 756 A.D.,
                  and then just the Roman Empire. Byzantine is a modern term

                  As the clock struck 07:46 PM 9/7/2000 -0500, Randall Eicher took pen in
                  hand and wrote:

                  >Lizzie asked >>
                  > > Mm, I think there's not as much Byzantium in there as one might like, but
                  >OH
                  > > that was a wonderful trilogy. What are the dates for the Byzantine
                  >Empire
                  > > again?
                  > >

                  >The Byzantine Empire technically begins in 330 AD when the Emperor
                  >Constantine transferred the imperial capital to Constantinople. It ended in
                  >1453 with the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Empire.
                  >
                  >Randall

                  James P. Robinson III jprobins@...

                  author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with
                  an attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
                  given in writing.
                • LSolarion@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 9, 2000
                    In a message dated 09/07/2000 9:24:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    ecrowe@... writes:

                    << I'm looking for historical fiction or fantasy set in the Byzantine era >>

                    There's a new series by Guy Gavriel Kay, a favorite of mine, set in a sort of
                    parallel Byzantium called Sarantium. Two volumes are out so far: Sailing to
                    Sarantium and Lord of Emperors.
                  • James P. Robinson III
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
                      Was made up by Charlemagne and not recognized as such by the Byzantines.

                      As the clock struck 04:41 PM 9/10/2000 -0400, ERATRIANO@... took pen in

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
                          Well, not really French (probably more Austrians and Germans held the title
                          than Frenchmen). Let's call it a later, Western European, elective office
                          with little inherent power. They did consider themselves the heirs of
                          Rome, and the title was blessed by the pope, but the Byzantines always
                          considered themselves the REAL Roman Empire and the HRE just a presumptuous
                          upstart..

                          As the clock struck 08:04 PM 9/10/2000 -0400, ERATRIANO@... took pen in

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 10, 2000
                              - we now return you to our regular programming -

                              Where the Byzantine Empire was the continuing successor of the Eastern
                              Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire may be seen as a latter-day attempt to
                              revive the Western Roman Empire, instituted by Charlemagne and Pope Leo in
                              800 A.D.

                              Where the Byzantine Empire quickly became ethnically Greek, the HRE, once
                              its boundaries settled down, became functionally what we would now call
                              Germany.

                              Where the Byzantine Empire lost power by shrinking in size and was wiped
                              out by the Turks in 1453, the HRE lost power by the emperor becoming a
                              figurehead (various other countries were sloughed off by gradually gaining
                              independence, among them Switzerland, the Netherlands, Austria, and the
                              various German states that reunited in 1871; not counting France, which
                              had become a separate country when Charlemagne's sons divided his lands),
                              and was wiped out by Napoleon in 1806.

                              Where the successor to the Byzantine Empire was the Russian Empire, whose
                              rulers first took the title "emperor" (tsar or czar) in a deliberate
                              attempt to take up the banner that fell in 1453, the successor to the HRE
                              was the Austrian Empire, the first (and self-appointed) Austrian Emperor
                              being literally the same person as the last Holy Roman Emperor. The
                              Russians, like the Byzantines, were Eastern Orthodox; the Austrians, like
                              the HRE, were Catholic: the German Empire of 1871-1918, though its
                              territory was more congruous with the HRE's, was of Protestant rule.

                              David Bratman
                            • Matthew Winslow
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 11, 2000
                                LSolarion@... [LSolarion@...] wrote:
                                > There's a new series by Guy Gavriel Kay, a favorite of mine, set in a sort of
                                > parallel Byzantium called Sarantium. Two volumes are out so far: Sailing to
                                > Sarantium and Lord of Emperors.

                                And that's all there's going to be. It's a duology, and quite a good one, too.

                                "Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while even
                                reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling the
                                comfort of their serene presence."
                                --Fred Buechner
                                Currently reading: Spindle's End by Robin McKinley
                              • alexeik@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 11, 2000
                                  In a message dated 9/11/0 12:05:21 AM, Lizzie wrote:

                                  <<<< Was made up by Charlemagne and not recognized as such by the Byzantines.

                                  So it was a later, French thing? Gosh, I've forgotten Everything!

                                  Actually, more of a German thing. And the Roman Church was one of the most
                                  instrumental factors in getting it started.
                                  Alexei
                                • Stolzi@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 11, 2000
                                    >tsar or czar

                                    Meaning "Caesar," of course.

                                    You can still find Greeks who refer to themselves and their Orthodox
                                    civilization as "Roman." And the Greek minority was (still is, I suppose)
                                    called "Roum" by the Turks who ruled them. Not "Hellas" or "Hellenes," terms
                                    revived from antiquity after the modern recovery of Greek nationhood.

                                    Mary S
                                  • LSolarion@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 14, 2000
                                      In a message dated 09/10/2000 1:44:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                      ERATRIANO@... writes:

                                      << And then the Holy Roman Empire was what?

                                      A collection of tiny German principalities, city-states and daydreams.