Re: [mythsoc] Fan Fiction

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2000
      In a message dated 09/07/2000 9:12:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      > new stories set in Narnia,

      When we hear that these are for "four-year-olds," I wonder if they are simple
      re-tellings? There was already a picture series which broke up LWW into
      several shorter stories, more simply told, but I don't know how far it
      progressed - I'd say its age group was a bit above four.

      Mary S
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2000
        Yes, I know the picture books (and the calendars and paper dolls which used the
        same art)--I wasn't very impressed with the art, and I never paid much attention
        to the texts. Not really approving of the idea (if they're too young for the
        regular text, they really don't need to hear the books for a couple of years, I
        think--no need to "dumb the Chronicles down" for younger children), I didn't buy
        any of them. I did see some art on the web-page yesterday, though, which makes
        me think that they've found a much superior artist, so these books may be worth
        a second look. I'm not really sure that you couldn't read the regular
        Chronicles to a younger child anyhow--Claire had a remarkable patience with
        texts she barely understood from a very young age if I read them to her.
        Certainly by age 5 I think I could have read LWW to her. Maybe I did (I can't
        remember when I first read this to her).

        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 09/07/2000 9:12:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
        > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
        >
        > > new stories set in Narnia,
        >
        > When we hear that these are for "four-year-olds," I wonder if they are simple
        > re-tellings? There was already a picture series which broke up LWW into
        > several shorter stories, more simply told, but I don't know how far it
        > progressed - I'd say its age group was a bit above four.
        >
        > Mary S

        David Lenander, Library Manager I

        University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services

        Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

        Phone: work: (612)626-3375 fax: (612)626-2454 home: (651)292-8887