Re: [mythsoc] Re: a different question about G.K.C.

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2012
      I found the Father Brown stories terminally annoying. Father Brown reaches his conclusions through his intuition into human nature. But human nature, even more than the obscure physical facts which allow Sherlock Holmes to leap to unjustified but somehow always accurate conclusions, is not scientifically rigid or invariable. Father Brown's conclusions are likely and would be the way to bet, but he has no call to be as serenely confident in their infallibility as he is (even Holmes presents his ideas as more tentative), and while he could turn out to be right more often than not, he couldn't always be right. But he is. We're missing the 30%, at least, of Father Brown stories in which his intuition falls flat on its face.