Introduction

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 1998
      Hi! I was away when messages started getting posted to the list, so will
      introduce myself. My name is Eleanor Farrell, and I've been a member of the
      Mythopoeic Society since, um, 1974 I think. I have been involved in several
      different local discussion groups (cofounded Sammath Naur -- still going
      strong -- in Hawaii, and The Grey Havens -- now defunct -- in Monterey; am
      currently active in Khazad-dum, the San Francisco Bay area group who just
      had our annual Reading and Eating Meeting (urp) last night). Now that we're
      able, I'm delighted that we can expand discussions to the internet for
      people who have trouble finding kindred souls physically nearby.

      In addition to eating and talking about books, I'm also the editor of
      _Mythprint_, the Society's monthly newsletter, and the webmistress of our
      web site. Am always happy to have contributions and suggestions for either!
      My personal reading interests focus on newer fantasy literature, although
      I've read and enjoyed the "classics" in this genre and others. Among the
      Society's Big Three: Tolkien of course; can't stand Lewis (fiction or
      theology, although some of his lit criticism is good); am probably more
      intrigued with the books of Charles Williams, with all their flaws, than
      the others. My favorite "Inkling" (using the term as loosely as possible)
      is probably Dorothy Sayers. Oh, well.

      I'm looking forward to meeting people through the list. Let's talk about
      books!!

      Ellie

      *
      Eleanor M. Farrell
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

      Editor, Mythprint (Mythopoeic Society newsletter)
      *
    • Marianne Dole
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
        Hello,

        I have been an admirer of the works of J. R. R. Tolkien for 36 years and of
        those of C. S. Lewis for longer than that. Unfortunately, most of the
        writings of Charles Williams aren't available in braille or (as far as I
        know) audio formats, so I haven't been able to read many of them.

        I am very grateful to Edith Crowe for letting me know about the existence of
        this discussion list, as I have wanted to talk with others interested in
        mythic literature. I live in Eugene Oregon, and as far as I know, there
        isn't a branch of the society in my area. I think there may be in Portland,
        but I don't drive, so that's rather difficult (for some reason, they won't
        let blind people drive. I don't know why; I think it's discriminatory, don't
        you?).

        Anyway, this is just to say how delighted I am to talk with you. I am
        especially interested in the Elven languages. I'm not a linguist, but I have
        loved the sounds of languages and how they reflect their cultures since I
        was small.

        Thanks for letting me ramble.

        Marianne Dole
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
          Welcome, Marianne!

          Susan
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
            From: "Marianne Dole" <madole@...>

            > I think there may be in Portland,
            > but I don't drive, so that's rather difficult (for some reason, they won't
            > let blind people drive. I don't know why; I think it's discriminatory,
            don't
            > you?).

            Oh, that's just in Portland. Here in California blind people drive.
            There's just no other explanation for how some folks drive.

            True story: there's an elderly woman at church who sings in the choir.
            She's a tiny woman who drives a great big car. She has only one eye, and
            that one has cataracts. She can't see well enough to tell one piece of
            music from another, and I've seen her hold her music upside down. It's
            truly scary to think of her on the road.

            Berni
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21, 2002
              << I have been an admirer of the works of J. R. R. Tolkien for 36 years and of those of C. S. Lewis for longer than that. Unfortunately, most of the
              writings of Charles Williams aren't available in braille or (as far as I
              know) audio formats, so I haven't been able to read many of them. >>

              Great to have you on the list! Wonder if we could get an audio version of Williams made through the Society?

              I am very grateful to Edith Crowe for letting me know about the existence of
              this discussion list, as I have wanted to talk with others interested in
              mythic literature. I live in Eugene Oregon, and as far as I know, there
              isn't a branch of the society in my area. I think there may be in Portland,
              but I don't drive, so that's rather difficult (for some reason, they won't
              let blind people drive. I don't know why; I think it's discriminatory, don't
              you?). >>

              I am also legally blind, though I have some vision and can read regular print, if I hold the books pretty close to my nose. I don't drive either, and I really can't understand why they don't let a one eyed woman with a glass eye drive either It's a shame; the traffic would be so much better because everyone else (if they're smart) would get off the streets so I can drive. Unfortunately, even if they did, I'd probably not live long!

              << Anyway, this is just to say how delighted I am to talk with you. I am
              especially interested in the Elven languages. I'm not a linguist, but I have
              loved the sounds of languages and how they reflect their cultures since I
              was small. >>

              Elven languages do sound wonderful; it always amazed me how Tolkien created the languages *first* and then the lands and people. Welcome to the list; I look forward to your wisdom. ---djb

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21, 2002
                Hello, Marianne -- this is David Bratman here.

                I remember you from San Francisco in olden times, such as when The
                Silmarillion was newly published and not yet in braille, so Jo Wilcox and I
                came over one day and read the whole thing into your tape recorder. That
                was hungry work, and every time we read a reference to "The Green Hill of
                Tuna" it made us hungrier!

                Jo is still around, though not, I think, on this list. She's married to
                Bill Welden, who was one of the consultants for the Peter Jackson film of
                The Lord of the Rings.

                I also remember two years later, at Mythcon in San Jose, by which time The
                Silmarillion had been published in braille. At the Bardic Circle you read
                "Ainulindale" to us in the dark. That was marvellously effective.

                David Bratman
              • Adam Smith
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
                  Hello all,

                  I already made my first post a couple of days ago, but since I'm new
                  to the board (and to the Mythopoeic Society) I thought I would
                  introduce myself.

                  My name is Adam Smith, I'm 30, and live in Northern Illinois. I've
                  been a fan of fantasy, and particularly JRR Tolkien, for as long as
                  I can remember. I first read 'The Hobbit' some time in my late
                  elementary school years and have been hooked ever since.

                  Earlier this year I returned to Tolkien's books after a few years of
                  burnout. The movies had put what had seemed like a very private
                  (and exclusive) love of Tolkien into the mainstream. Not that
                  Tolkien hadn't been extremely popular and influencial before then,
                  but Middle-earth was suddenly on every street corner and on the lips
                  of people who had never in their life picked up a book.

                  The movies did have a positive effect, however, in helping to bring
                  forth the current resurgence of scholarship on all things Tolkien,
                  and so I soon found myself once again knee-deep in Tolkien studies
                  and fascinated anew by the fantasy genre.

                  I started a website earlier this year, www.tolkien-online.com, as an
                  outlet for my own personal essays & opinions, and as a source of
                  information for others. It is a collection of various reviews,
                  studies, and overviews.

                  I also joined the Mythopoeic Society back in April, hoping to learn
                  from others and contribute to fantasy studies.

                  I recently stumbled across a link to this group and promptly
                  joined. I already recognize many of the names here as prominent
                  writers, Tolkien scholars, and active members of the Mythopoeic
                  Society.

                  It is wonderful to meet you all. I hope that I can also make a
                  positive contribution to the various discussions here in the future.

                  ------
                  Adam Smith
                  tolkien-online.com
                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 10, 2007
                    Welcome to the list, Adam.
                    And thanks for the link to your website. Only had a chance to
                    glance at it so far, but looks quite interesting.
                    Where in Northern Illinois? I was just in Harvard and Rockford
                    last month visiting in-laws. Unfortunately, since the Chicago-area
                    Tolkien/Inklings discussion group ('Place of the Lion') broke up
                    years ago, I think the closest groups of like-minded people these
                    days must be Madison (the Univ. of Wisc. Tolk. Soc.) and Milwaukee
                    (the Burrahobbits), either of which is well worth a visit if you find
                    yourself in those parts.
                    --John R.

                    On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Adam Smith wrote:
                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > I already made my first post a couple of days ago, but since I'm new
                    > to the board (and to the Mythopoeic Society) I thought I would
                    > introduce myself.
                    >
                    > My name is Adam Smith, I'm 30, and live in Northern Illinois. I've
                    > been a fan of fantasy, and particularly JRR Tolkien, for as long as
                    > I can remember. I first read 'The Hobbit' some time in my late
                    > elementary school years and have been hooked ever since.
                    >
                    > Earlier this year I returned to Tolkien's books after a few years of
                    > burnout. The movies had put what had seemed like a very private
                    > (and exclusive) love of Tolkien into the mainstream. Not that
                    > Tolkien hadn't been extremely popular and influencial before then,
                    > but Middle-earth was suddenly on every street corner and on the lips
                    > of people who had never in their life picked up a book.
                    >
                    > The movies did have a positive effect, however, in helping to bring
                    > forth the current resurgence of scholarship on all things Tolkien,
                    > and so I soon found myself once again knee-deep in Tolkien studies
                    > and fascinated anew by the fantasy genre.
                    >
                    > I started a website earlier this year, www.tolkien-online.com, as an
                    > outlet for my own personal essays & opinions, and as a source of
                    > information for others. It is a collection of various reviews,
                    > studies, and overviews.
                    >
                    > I also joined the Mythopoeic Society back in April, hoping to learn
                    > from others and contribute to fantasy studies.
                    >
                    > I recently stumbled across a link to this group and promptly
                    > joined. I already recognize many of the names here as prominent
                    > writers, Tolkien scholars, and active members of the Mythopoeic
                    > Society.
                    >
                    > It is wonderful to meet you all. I hope that I can also make a
                    > positive contribution to the various discussions here in the future.
                    >
                    > ------
                    > Adam Smith
                    > tolkien-online.com
                  • Adam Smith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 10, 2007
                      Thanks for the welcome John...and it is a great pleasure to meet
                      you.

                      I'm about halfway through the second volume of The History of the
                      Hobbit and have found it absolutely fascinating. I must say that
                      you did a fantastic job not just with the research and scholarship,
                      but with the organization of the piece, which reads smoothly. The
                      editorial commentary does not interfere with the narrative, and I
                      think that gives the volumes a flow that is missing from 'The
                      History of LotR'.

                      I actually live about midway between Peoria and Rockford...out in no-
                      man's land, so to speak. Strangely enough, my sister-in-law also
                      lives in Harvard. Small world.

                      I learned at the last moment (from Mike Foster) about your speaking
                      engagement at Marquette, and wish I had known earlier. I hope to
                      meet with Mike's Peoria Mythsoc discussion group later this month
                      for the first time, so that should be fascinating.

                      ------
                      Adam S.

> [...]
                      studies
                      > > and fascinated anew by the fantasy genre.
                      > >
                      > > I started a website earlier this year, www.tolkien-online.com,
                      as an
                      > > outlet for my own personal essays & opinions, and as a source of
                      > > information for others. It is a collection of various reviews,
                      > > studies, and overviews.
                      > >
                      > > I also joined the Mythopoeic Society back in April, hoping to
                      learn
                      > > from others and contribute to fantasy studies.
                      > >
                      > > I recently stumbled across a link to this group and promptly
                      > > joined. I already recognize many of the names here as prominent
                      > > writers, Tolkien scholars, and active members of the Mythopoeic
                      > > Society.
                      > >
                      > > It is wonderful to meet you all. I hope that I can also make a
                      > > positive contribution to the various discussions here in the

                    • John D Rateliff
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 11, 2007
                        Yes, silly of me to have clean forgotten about Mike's group being the
                        closest one to you -- but then Illinois' internal geography was never
                        my strong point. Glad you're in contact with him and will be able to
                        visit the Peoria group. Pity about Marquette, but so it goes. Glad
                        you're enjoying RETURN TO BAG-END. My model was, of course,
                        Christopher's HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH series, particularly his
                        treatment of text and commentary in THE BOOK OF LOST TALES. So my
                        book is deliberately designed so that those who wish can just skip
                        over my parts and read Tolkien's draft as a more or less continuous
                        story (and a v. good one, too).

                        Most recent Tolkien acquisitions:
                        (1) THE ROOTS OF TOLKIEN'S MIDDLE EARTH by Rbt S. Blackham
                        (nicely illustrated guide to places in the Birmingham area that might
                        have influenced Tolkien), &
                        (2) THE LORD OF THE RINGS OFFICIAL STAGE COMPANION by Gary
                        Russell (the companion book to the London stage musical). I assume
                        they'll release an 'original cast' soundtrack and poss. dvd at some
                        point, but for now this is the best bet for those of us who can't
                        make it to the London production to see what they've done with the
                        story.
                        While in Oxford recently I picked up several 'Oxford guidebooks'
                        -- pamphlets, really -- and was interested to see that Tolkien and
                        also Lewis are much more prominent in them than had been the case
                        last time I was there. I think the only other Oxford figure who got
                        so much space was Dogdson (i.e., Lewis Carroll).
                        --JDR