A note in Tolkien's pocket

  • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2012
      There is a German magazine, _PM Biografie_, which publishes
      biographic articles about interesting people. Issue 2/2008,
      which I recently acquired, contains an article about Tolkien.

      It ends with a presumably invented story which I do not
      remember having seen before: "In einer Innentasche der Tweedjacke,
      die er zuletzt getragen hat, findet man einen kleinen, mehrmals
      zusammengefalteten Zettel. In Tolkiens Schrift ist das Ziel
      seiner Sehnsucht aufgeschrieben: 'the shire'." [My translation:
      "In an inner pocket of the tweed jacket he had last worn, they
      found a small, many times folded, piece of paper. In Tolkien's
      hand the object of his longing is written down: 'the shire'."]

      Does anyone know the origin of this story?

      Chivalrous greetings,

      Beregond