Re: [mythsoc] "Joseph Bright" and Huddersfield hobbits

  • James Curcio
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
      Oh, well, in that case, it's a matter of simply being incorrect. I meant "my understanding" as in, having skimmed the messages in the thread. Not based on some prior knowledge of this individual.

      But I will speak to something that I do have direct experience of. It still irks me that I accidentally wrote the "devil's interval" was a minor 3rd rather than flatted 5th in a book that's been used in 3 college level classes that I know of. It got by me and 2 editors. It's something I know, mis-wrote, and never caught on multiple editorial passes. But it doesn't exactly keep me up nights. When (and if) the 2nd edition comes out, it'll be one of the many little errors to be fixed.

      The point of this and my prior messages in this thread was simply--Life goes on, we hope.

      Cell: 484-319-7323

      On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM, <WendellWag@...> wrote:

      I've talked (well, communicated by E-mail) with people who've done courses on tape/CD and read various things by such people.  It is not done "on your feet."  The company issuing the course gets recommendations from students who've taken courses from the professor at their university.  The company sends out people to listen to their lectures.  They bring the professor in to record the course.  They insist that he prepares a script and they fact-check it.  They insist that he practice the lectures beforehand to make sure that he can do it in the correct amount of time and with no significant hesitations.  They record it and then listen to it to make sure that it corresponds with the script.  They test it with a customer focus group before releasing it.  Courses on tape/CD are expensive.  Small mistakes might get by.  It's a lecture and not a scholarly paper, so nobody expect brilliant, original ideas.  However, just winging it when you record the lectures is most certainly not acceptable.  I've listened to many courses on tape/CD over the years, and it's always clearly prepared and not a matter of winging it.
      Wendell Wagner
      In a message dated 2/17/2012 6:58:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jamescurcio@... writes:
      My understanding is it was a lecture done "on his feet," not something read from a script, or something where you could go back and do it again.