Re: [mythsoc] "Joseph Bright" and Huddersfield hobbits

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
      First, I was a little surprised to hear that the course is titled Of Sorcerers and Men: Tolkien and the Roots of Modern Fantasy Literature.  I listened to that course a while ago, and it was titled Rings, Swords and Monsters.  I found a blog entry by Drout in which he says that this is just a retitling of the course, not a different course.

      In a message dated 2/17/2012 1:30:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dbratman@... writes:
      I suspect sloppiness from speaking offhand.

      I'm not sure what you're saying here.  I've listened to seventy or so courses on tape/CD over the past twelve and a half years, and I can say that no lecturer speaks offhand in these courses.  Every lecturer writes out his lectures in advance and practices them before they do the recording of the lectures.  They may happen to be sloppy scholars, but it's not the case that they are speaking off the top of their heads.

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
        WendellWag@... wrote:

        >This tape is part of his output, and this sort of sloppiness doesn't speak
        >well of him. Making these sorts of mistakes on a course on tape/CD sounds
        >to me like arrogance. A lecturer is just as responsible for accuracy in
        >his recorded lectures (for which he's paid well, incidentally) as for his
        >scholarly papers.

        I said "explain", not "excuse".

        James Curcio wrote:

        >People misspeak. Maybe I'm missing what the big deal is.

        It's a big deal when it's speaking before the microphones for a prepared recording. When a movie actor flubs a line, they do it again.
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012

          Thanks, Beregond – I don’t own a copy of Haigh’s book myself, but if “hobbit” had been in it, I would have noticed when writing my paper on Haigh for Tolkien Studies.

          Janet Brennan Croft

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
            Regarding Wright/Bright confusion or conflation: likely referring to James Bright, he of _Anglo-Saxon Reader_ fame.  Wrong, of course, since Bright was never Tolkien's mentor, but as noted by others, Wright was.

            Re: Middle English "hobbit", I know of no such form in Middle English, but plenty of Middle English "hob" forms and compounds.  Not the same thing of course.  According to Eaton's article in the Encyclopedia (edited by Drout), Denham of the Denham Tracts drew on the 16th century The Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot, might be worth checking that work to see if "hobbit" appears there, though that isn't medieval and is a strange and odd error for Drout to make.
            --
            Larry Swain

            On Thu, Feb 16, 2012, at 10:02 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

            Here's a quick request for a fact-check. I'm listening to Michael Drout's lecture series OF SORCERERS AND MEN: TOLKIEN AND THE ROOTS OF MODERN FANTASY LITERATURE. So far I'm only about a quarter of the way through, and I'm finding it v. uneven. The lecture on Tolkien's biography and how it influenced his work was excellent, while the one on THE HOBBIT I thought really missed the boat. What puzzles me more, though, are some statements I hadn't come across before.

            Query #1: Did Tolkien believe that his old mentor Joseph Wright (whom Drout keeps calling "Joseph Bright") had "lost his literary soul"? I know from a little online digging that this comes from one of Tolkien's YEAR'S WORK IN ENGLISH STUDIES year-in-review pieces, but can find no indication at all that he felt this way about Wright.

            /div>
            Query #2: Drout says the word "hobbit" occurs in medieval English, and that Tolkien took it from a book on the dialect of the Huddersfield district. This wd be Haigh's book, to wh. Tolkien wrote a foreword. I don't have a copy of this book, but I never heard that hobbit appears in it. I think Drout has confused Haigh's book, which we know Tolkien thought highly of, with Denham's mid-Victorian collection (THE DENHAM TRACTS), which does include the word "hobbit" but which there's no evidence Tolkien ever saw. Can anyone elucidate?

            Thanks in advance.

            --John R.

            --
            http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...

          • Larry Swain
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
              obobuk?  Beregond, is that right?  Just curious (with the o's being marked long.
              --
              Larry Swain

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                <WendellWag@...> wrote:

                >> I suspect sloppiness from speaking offhand.
                >
                > I'm not sure what you're saying here. I've listened to seventy or so
                > courses on tape/CD over the past twelve and a half years, and I can say
                > that no
                > lecturer speaks offhand in these courses.

                Drout is anything but aloppy in his own scholarly writings. Whatever other
                professors do, not preparing every word beforehand and speaking off-the-cuff
                from memory, rather than reading a script, would explain this. Otherwise it
                wouldn't.

                "Larry Swain" <theswain@...> wrote:

                >obobuk? Beregond, is that right? Just curious (with the o's
                >being marked long.

                Beregond wrote: "_[o-macron]bi_, _[o-macron]buk_", which comes out without
                the macrons as "obi, obuk". Two forms of the word, presumably. (If there's
                no initial H in the Huddersfield dialect, what's the dialect's name for its
                own town?)

                I'm sure you're right about James Bright being the name in Drout's mind, and
                since he should have known Bright's identity easily, and known that Bright
                was an American and therefore that much less likely to be confused with a
                teacher of Tolkien's, that increases the likelihood that this was a verbal
                slip made from speaking off the cuff.
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                  This tape is part of his output, and this sort of sloppiness doesn't speak well of him.  Making these sorts of mistakes on a course on tape/CD sounds to me like arrogance.  A lecturer is just as responsible for accuracy in his recorded lectures (for which he's paid well, incidentally) as for his scholarly papers.

                  Wendell

                  In a message dated 2/17/2012 11:12:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dbratman@... writes:
                  Drout is anything but aloppy in his own scholarly writings.
                • James Curcio
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                    People misspeak. Maybe I'm missing what the big deal is.
                    Cell: 484-319-7323

                  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                      As with typos and proofreading, sometimes a speaker does not always
                      realize they have misspoken a word or name. If they're the only person in
                      the room who might be aware of the error when considered objectively, who
                      is going to know to correct it?

                      Why not just email Michael and ask him? It's not like he's unreachable.

                      Sarah

                      > WendellWag@... wrote:
                      >
                      >>This tape is part of his output, and this sort of sloppiness doesn't
                      >> speak
                      >>well of him. Making these sorts of mistakes on a course on tape/CD
                      >> sounds
                      >>to me like arrogance. A lecturer is just as responsible for accuracy in
                      >>his recorded lectures (for which he's paid well, incidentally) as for his
                      >>scholarly papers.
                      >
                      > I said "explain", not "excuse".
                      >

                      > James Curcio wrote:
                      >
                      >>People misspeak. Maybe I'm missing what the big deal is.
                      >
                      > It's a big deal when it's speaking before the microphones for a prepared
                      > recording. When a movie actor flubs a line, they do it again.

                    • John Rateliff
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                        Thanks David, for the Carpenter quote. I shd have caught that one myself.

                        Thanks Anders, for the confirmation re. Haigh. I see I'll have to save up and get myself a copy of the Haigh.*

                        And thanks all for the comments and clarifications.

                        Everyone makes mistakes -- I still cringe from having written "Gower" when I meant "Langland" in THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT (finally corrected in the new one-volume edition), and remember Taum's once giving a lecture on Tolkien where he mentioned THE LORD OF THE RINGS' having been illustrated by the Queen of Sweden (he meant Denmark). For the record, though, Drout doesn't just say "Bright" once but calls Joseph Wright that every time he refers to him -- including in phrases like "in Joseph Bright's GOTHIC GRAMMAR . . . ". The Haigh bit is much more serious, since he states something as a fact that isn't.

                        From everything I've seen, Drout is a careful scholar; that's what made these and other slips surprising. I suspect he either didn't hold this audiobook to the same standards as his written scholarship or (which is perhaps more likely) these recordings may have been done in a rush, without time for fact-checking.

                        And, as I said, there's good stuff here as well. For example, Drout ends his discussion of Tolkien's World War I experience by saying it's important to remember that JRRT didn't come out of the war a shell-shocked broken man, or emerge from his orphaned childhood lost in nostalgia to the extent that he was unable to move on with his life: he fell in love, married, raised a family, thrived in his chosen profession, &c.

                        --John R.

                        *and I'll have to name my next D&D character Obi Obuk.
                      • Andrew Higgins
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                          On the origin of Hobbit front last autumn when he guest lectured on The Mythgard Institutes Tolkien and Epic Course, Tom Shippey gave us an advance article called The Ancestors of the Hobbits - Strange Creatures in English Folklore which was due to appear in the next issue of Lembas Extra.  Which gave some excellent insight, as Professor Shippey always does, on The Denham Tracts.  if he has published it is worth a read.

                          Thanks Andy

                          Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

                          Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
                          Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)
                          and now a word from our supporters......
                          http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

                          asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
                          Mobile 07500 827793
                          And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012

                            On Feb 17, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Andrew Higgins wrote:
                            On the origin of Hobbit front last autumn when he guest lectured on The Mythgard Institutes Tolkien and Epic Course, Tom Shippey gave us an advance article called The Ancestors of the Hobbits - Strange Creatures in English Folklore which was due to appear in the next issue of Lembas Extra.  Which gave some excellent insight, as Professor Shippey always does, on The Denham Tracts.  if he has published it is worth a read.

                            That's great news, Andrew.
                            The latest BEYOND BREE [Feb. 2012, page 9] has a list sent in by Mark Hooker of the contents of that LEMBAS EXTRA 2011, which includes Shippey's piece. I'll have to see if one of my friends in England can't send me a copy, since I'd love to see what Shippey has to say on this ever-fascinating topic.

                            --JDR
                          • John Rateliff
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012

                              On Feb 17, 2012, at 7:52 AM, Larry Swain wrote:
                              Re: Middle English "hobbit", I know of no such form in Middle English, but plenty of Middle English "hob" forms and compounds.  Not the same thing of course.  According to Eaton's article in the Encyclopedia (edited by Drout), Denham of the Denham Tracts drew on the 16th century The Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot, might be worth checking that work to see if "hobbit" appears there, though that isn't medieval and is a strange and odd error for Drout to make.

                              I reprint Michael Scot's list in Appendix I of THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT (page 842). For those who don't have either mine or Scot's book handy, here's the relevant passage:

                              <quote begins>
                              "Denham’s primary source was a list of “vaine apparitions” compiled by the skeptic Reginald Scot more than two and a half centuries before in The Discoverie of Witchcraft [1584], an eloquent and impassioned refutation of the superstitions of his day. In Book VII of that work, after discussing the Oracle at Delphi and the Witch of Endor (I Samuel 28. 3–25), Scot gives the following mingling of classical lore with old wives’ tales:

                              Chapter XV. Of vaine apparitions, how people have beene brought to feare bugges, which is partlie reformed by preaching of the gospell, the true effect of Christes miracle.

                              . . . It is a common saieng [saying]; A lion feareth no bugs [bugbears, boogiemen]. But in our childhood our mothers maids have so terrified us with an ouglie [ugly] divell having hornes on this head, fier in his mouth, and a taile in his breech . . . and a voice roring like a lion, whereby we start and are afraid when we heare one crie Bough [Boo!]: and they have so fraied us with bull beggers, spirits, witches, urchens, elves, hags, fairies, satyrs, pans, faunes, sylens, kit with the cansticke, tritons, centaurs, dwarfes, giants, imps, calcars, conjurors, nymphes, changlings, Incubus, Robin good-fellowe, the spoorne, the mare [i.e., nightmare], the man in the oke [oak], the hell waine, the fierdrake [firedrake, dragon], the puckle [puck, pooka], Tom thome, hob gobblin, Tom tumbler, boneles, and such other bugs, that we are afraid of our owne shadowes . . . [S]ome never feare the divell, but in a darke night . . . speciallie in a churchyard, where a right hardie man heretofore scant durst passe by night, but his haire would stand upright.

                              —1972 Dover facsimile reproduction of the

                              1930 Montague Summers edition, page 86

                              <quote ends>
                              Drout does occasionally get eras off by a little -- he calls the Cottingley Fairy Photographs "Victorian" -- but I don't think he'd call Denham's work from the 1840s and 1850s "medieval". Like I said, we all make mistakes: I just wanted to follow this one up in case Drout was right about a Huddersfield Hobbit and I'd overlooked something major when trying to trace the word. Thanks all for the fact-checking.

                              --JDR

                            • Larry Swain
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                                On Fri, Feb 17, 2012, at 11:17 AM, [2]WendellWag@... wrote:

                                >>This tape is part of his output, and this sort of sloppiness
                                doesn't speak well of him. Making these sorts of mistakes on a
                                course on tape/CD sounds to me like arrogance. A lecturer is
                                just as responsible for accuracy in his recorded lectures (for
                                which he's paid well, incidentally) as for his scholarly papers.<<

                                But his other recordings, his scholarly output in books and articles, do
                                speak well of him. Before judging him too harshly for these issues in
                                this lecture, a) with John, we all make mistakes and b) as for scholars,
                                I may not like a particular book or article that contains errors, but I
                                don't judge a scholar's entire output on a single article, lecture, or
                                even book.

                                Larry Swain
                                Chair, English Dept.
                                Bemidji State University

                              • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                                  David Bratman wrote:

                                  > (If there's
                                  > no initial H in the Huddersfield dialect, what's the dialect's name for its
                                  > own town?)

                                  _Uth[e-hook]rsfild_. The etymology is "prob. the _field_ or land of
                                  _Hother_, _Other_ or _Huther_, _Uther_, the original owner; _or_
                                  possibly _Ottersfield_, from ME. _oter_, OE. _otor_, an otter", so
                                  the H- of the standard form is possibly not original.

                                  Chivalrously,

                                  Beregond
                                • James Curcio
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                                    My understanding is it was a lecture done "on his feet," not something read from a script, or something where you could go back and do it again.

                                    I'll be honest though, if something isn't a life and death thing, I tend not to worry about it too much. ;)

                                    Cell: 484-319-7323

                                    On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:41 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

                                    WendellWag@... wrote:

                                    >This tape is part of his output, and this sort of sloppiness doesn't speak
                                    >well of him. Making these sorts of mistakes on a course on tape/CD sounds
                                    >to me like arrogance. A lecturer is just as responsible for accuracy in
                                    >his recorded lectures (for which he's paid well, incidentally) as for his
                                    >scholarly papers.

                                    I said "explain", not "excuse".

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                                      I've talked (well, communicated by E-mail) with people who've done courses on tape/CD and read various things by such people.  It is not done "on your feet."  The company issuing the course gets recommendations from students who've taken courses from the professor at their university.  The company sends out people to listen to their lectures.  They bring the professor in to record the course.  They insist that he prepares a script and they fact-check it.  They insist that he practice the lectures beforehand to make sure that he can do it in the correct amount of time and with no significant hesitations.  They record it and then listen to it to make sure that it corresponds with the script.  They test it with a customer focus group before releasing it.  Courses on tape/CD are expensive.  Small mistakes might get by.  It's a lecture and not a scholarly paper, so nobody expect brilliant, original ideas.  However, just winging it when you record the lectures is most certainly not acceptable.  I've listened to many courses on tape/CD over the years, and it's always clearly prepared and not a matter of winging it.

                                      Wendell Wagner

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                                        Oh, well, in that case, it's a matter of simply being incorrect. I meant "my understanding" as in, having skimmed the messages in the thread. Not based on some prior knowledge of this individual.

                                        But I will speak to something that I do have direct experience of. It still irks me that I accidentally wrote the "devil's interval" was a minor 3rd rather than flatted 5th in a book that's been used in 3 college level classes that I know of. It got by me and 2 editors. It's something I know, mis-wrote, and never caught on multiple editorial passes. But it doesn't exactly keep me up nights. When (and if) the 2nd edition comes out, it'll be one of the many little errors to be fixed.

                                        The point of this and my prior messages in this thread was simply--Life goes on, we hope.

                                        Cell: 484-319-7323