Re: [mythsoc] interesting take on harry potter

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2000
      In a message dated 09/04/2000 11:11:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      Stolzi@... writes:

      << it won't be the same as in other
      > Church of England parishes.
      >
      > This one will speak of sorting hats, Muggle songs, quidditch, and
      > ton-tongue toffees. It's the Harry Potter liturgy, designed to attract
      youth. >>

      From clown masses in the seventies to this! You've come a short way, baby.
      I suppose it's inevitable that once the Church waters down or loses sight of
      the eternal, it will fall for the trendy, trading reverence for relevance.
      Not a good bargain, in my book. Instead of trying to be what it's not and
      chasing after every elusive fad that dies daily like the mayfly, not like St.
      Paul, why can't the church focus on the everlasting Gospel, which is what so
      many are looking for? Churches that do that are not hurting for young
      members, who aren't fooled by a lot of patronizing old folks trading their
      birthright for the pottage of appearing "with it." Young people want older
      folks to be genuine, not blundering imitations of youth.
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2000
        In a message dated 09/06/2000 8:43:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
        LSolarion@... writes:

        > who aren't fooled by a lot of patronizing old folks trading their
        > birthright for the pottage

        No Harry Pottage, you're saying? :)

        Mary S
      • Sophie Masson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2000
          Hear, hear!
          Sophie
          Author site:
          http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2000
            In a message dated 09/07/2000 7:40:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            Stolzi@... writes:

            << No Harry Pottage, you're saying? :)

            I hope not! Hair in my pottage makes my throat tickle.

            Steve