Re: [mythsoc] Joy Davidman as Manic Pixie Dream Girl in the movie Shadowlands

    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 4, 2012
      O.K., once more before I completely bore you to death with the idea of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl.  The term is thrown around a lot recently.  Here's a video showing why the concept can be so annoying:

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 1/28/2012 1:39:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, WendellWag@... writes:

      While reading something about the idea of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl recently, I realized that that's what the movie Shadowlands is trying to portray Joy Davidman as being for C. S. Lewis:

      I had thought about something like this back when the film came out, but the category hadn't been identified yet so I didn't realize how common this idea was.  On doing some Googling on the terms "manic pixie dream girl" and "Joy Davidman", I was amused to discover that I wasn't the first to make this connection.  The TV Tropes website mentions Joy Davidman in Shadowlands as being one example of this trope.  Note that this website isn't just about TV but about all sorts of media.  Click on the rectangle "Film" to find the mention of Davidman and Shadowlands.

      A Manic Pixie Dream Girl is a woman who opens the hero (who has been living a sheltered, emotionless existence) to adventure in his life.  She's attractive, wacky, quirky, and yet obsessed with the stuffed-shirt hero.  She leaves the hero opened up to life.  In many cases she dies at the end of the story.  Shadowlands is untypical in having the hero and the Manic Pixie Dream Girl be middle-aged, but that's not unknown (or even to have her be old, like Maude in Harold and Maude).

      It's not really a very accurate description of Lewis and Davidman's actual relationship, but then this stereotype isn't really a very accurate description of anybody's life.  It's a male wish-fulfillment fantasy.  The Manic Pixie Dream Girl exists in these stories to fix the hero's life, not to evolve on her own, so dying or otherwise disappearing at the end is just a convenient way to get rid of her now that she's made the necessary changes in his life.

      Wendell Wagner

    • Margaret Dean
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 13, 2012
        I just got an email from Kent State Press saying they'd shipped mine!  :)  It's been backordered for ... a while now.

        --Margaret Dean
        On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

        All,

        It has come to my attention that Verlyn Flieger's new book, Green Suns and Faërie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien is now available for purchase, both directly from the publisher, Kent State University Press, and from Amazon and other retailers.  This book was originally due to be published last August, but was delayed by the publisher.  It doesn't seem to have been well publicized that the book is now available, so I thought I would spread the word.  I obviously don't need to emphasize how perceptive Verlyn's observations about Tolkien are.  Most of you are well aware of that fact!

        Doug