RE: [mythsoc] Digest Number 3649

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2012
      I apologize for conflating topics, but I get the digest and didn't want to clog the list. :)

      > 2.10. Re: Types, Stereotypes and Archetypes.
      > Posted by: "scribbler@..."
      > Date: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:57 pm ((PST))
      >
      > Therein lies Tolkien's skill: he introduces us to Aragorn as Strider and shows us
      > the characters much more accessible qualities before we learn the real
      > weight of his destiny.

      What I find remarkable is that, assuming my understanding of the HoME works is correct, he himself did not know the real weight of Strider's destiny until fairly late in the writing process. Originally he's 'Trotter,' a character I regret the loss of though I love Strider/Aragorn, simply because a tough, worldly Hobbit is worth seeing.

      The fact that the narrative alchemy you describe re: Strider takes place from such a muddled creative beginning is instructive of the unpredictability of artistic inspiration. And a wonderful argument, as all of Tolkein's output is, for the value of long, slow development of fiction works.

      > 4c. "We were all Orcs in the Great War" - apocryphal
      > Posted by: "Darrell A. Martin" darrellm@... forbarad
      > Date: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:59 pm ((PST))
      > I would add as someone who has experienced combat, that characterizing
      > all of ones comrades as essentially evil is a betrayal. It dishonors not
      > only ones own service, but that of those who did not come home. (That is
      > why I despise John Kerry even more than Jane Fonda, when I bother to
      > think about either of them, which is seldom.) What did Tolkien think of
      > the TCBSers Smith and Gilson? Orcs?

      I agree with those who describe the implausibility of the supposed Tolkien quote. But I wanted to thank Mr. Martin for so well expressing something I have often had to contend with in my own work, I hope he will not mind that I shall add his arguments to my own arsenal on the topic.

      Paul Westermeyer
      Historian, History Division
      Marine Corps University
      Paul.Westermeyer@...
      http://www.history.usmc.mil

      "The first law for the historian is that he shall never dare utter an untruth. The second is that he shall suppress nothing that is true. Moreover, there shall be no suspicion of partiality in his writing, or of malice." Marcus Tullius Cicero, De Oratore, II.XV,62