Re: [mythsoc] Joy Davidman as Manic Pixie Dream Girl in the movie Shadowlands

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 30, 2012

      On Jan 28, 2012, at 12:39 PM, WendellWag@... wrote:
      A Manic Pixie Dream Girl is a woman who opens the hero (who has been living a sheltered, emotionless existence) to adventure in his life.  She's attractive, wacky, quirky, and yet obsessed with the stuffed-shirt hero.  She leaves the hero opened up to life.  In many cases she dies at the end of the story. Shadowlands is untypical in having the hero and the Manic Pixie Dream Girl be middle-aged, but that's not unknown (or even to have her be old, like Maude in Harold and Maude).

      The classic form of this is Thorne Smith's TOPPER, both the novel and the movie. Pretty much all Thorne Smith's novels, in fact, start with middle-age men stuck in a rut who get their worlds turned upside down by the sudden intrusion of a wild woman and booze into his hitherto staid and stolid life.

      As for it corresponding to Joy Gresham as she appeared in the film(s) but not in real life, it does correspond to her son Douglas Gresham's memory of her, and his conception of her effect on his stepfather.

      --John R.

    • Margaret Dean
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 13, 2012
        I just got an email from Kent State Press saying they'd shipped mine!  :)  It's been backordered for ... a while now.

        --Margaret Dean
        On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

        All,

        It has come to my attention that Verlyn Flieger's new book, Green Suns and Faërie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien is now available for purchase, both directly from the publisher, Kent State University Press, and from Amazon and other retailers.  This book was originally due to be published last August, but was delayed by the publisher.  It doesn't seem to have been well publicized that the book is now available, so I thought I would spread the word.  I obviously don't need to emphasize how perceptive Verlyn's observations about Tolkien are.  Most of you are well aware of that fact!

        Doug