Re: [mythsoc] Types, Stereotypes and Archetypes.

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 29, 2012
      Greetings:

      Scribbler makes a useful point, but in some ways his remark about the
      universal undesirability of stereotypes may have overreached. It may be
      an over-generalization, which is a member species of the literary genus
      under consideration.

      It triggered a question in me, not yet formed into an opinion, whether
      J.R.R. Tolkien's Orcs may be an intentional stereotype. That is, they
      are deliberately limited in their depth, are seldom seen as individuals,
      and have racial characteristics which are unrelentingly negative. Even
      when an uncommon Orc appears with a name and a physical description, he
      is an exaggerated version *of* the stereotype, not a variation *from* it.

      In my opinion one of Peter Jackson's greatest failings in interpreting
      Tolkien's world is his (Jackson's) Orcs. It is understandable that
      Jackson, as a filmmaker, wants to make his Orcs interesting. However,
      while the result is possibly still tolerable even for a Tolkien purist,
      whether it is defensible is another matter entirely.

      To Tolkien, that Orcs are boring, interesting only in the aggregate and
      only then as sword fodder, is part and parcel of their nature. If that
      is not a stereotype, then what is?

      Darrell
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 13, 2012
        I just got an email from Kent State Press saying they'd shipped mine!  :)  It's been backordered for ... a while now.

        --Margaret Dean
        On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

        All,

        It has come to my attention that Verlyn Flieger's new book, Green Suns and Faërie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien is now available for purchase, both directly from the publisher, Kent State University Press, and from Amazon and other retailers.  This book was originally due to be published last August, but was delayed by the publisher.  It doesn't seem to have been well publicized that the book is now available, so I thought I would spread the word.  I obviously don't need to emphasize how perceptive Verlyn's observations about Tolkien are.  Most of you are well aware of that fact!

        Doug