Re: Joy Davidman as Manic Pixie Dream Girl in the movie Shadowlands

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 28, 2012
      If the "Magic Negro" concept ever had any value, the list of such characters in film and literature that is linked from the wikipedia article seems determined to make nonsense of it. If God as played by Morgan Freeman in BRUCE ALMIGHTY and EVAN ALMIGHTY qualifies, I can't see why God as played by George Burns in the three OH, GOD! movies should not -- apart from his race. What's is God's race, anyway?

      To keep this on topic: a few years ago I read some online discussion about color-blind casting for THE HOBBIT -- including the suggestion of Morgan Freeman for Gandalf.*

      Would Gandalf then be a Magic Negro?

      -Merlin

      *source: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=85863#85863

      > The Magical Negro (or Magic Negro) is another annoying trope:
      >
      > _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro_
      > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro)
      >
      > Wendell Wagner
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 13, 2012
        I just got an email from Kent State Press saying they'd shipped mine!  :)  It's been backordered for ... a while now.

        --Margaret Dean
        On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

        All,

        It has come to my attention that Verlyn Flieger's new book, Green Suns and Faërie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien is now available for purchase, both directly from the publisher, Kent State University Press, and from Amazon and other retailers.  This book was originally due to be published last August, but was delayed by the publisher.  It doesn't seem to have been well publicized that the book is now available, so I thought I would spread the word.  I obviously don't need to emphasize how perceptive Verlyn's observations about Tolkien are.  Most of you are well aware of that fact!

        Doug